stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralNetwork question
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Nexus
2006-08-17 10:25:33
If I have several computers in a network, all with access to a "public" hard drive, can I run one instance of muon1 on each computer from the same directory on the public drive?  That would be good because a) same results.dat means more chance of coming up with an improvement, and b) I wouldn't need to collect seperate results.txt all the time.  Or would this cause the seperate instances of muon1 to interfere with each other?
Stephen Brooks
2006-08-17 10:40:36
It would probably work fine a lot of the time, but with intermittant file-access-conflicts that may wipe your results (particularly results.txt) or config.txt sometimes.  You can try it though.
Nexus
2006-08-17 11:38:03
I'll give it a go tomorrow.  Thanks
Herb[Romulus2]
2006-08-17 15:09:56
You need to turn autosave off in the config.txt or several clients will use the same design at once with the progress of the slowest machine!
If one box puts a queue in place, all other boxes will churn on the same design then. 
A local directory is always better than an LAN access, which is slow and doubtful, you clients will just hang from time to time.

Been there, done all that, forget it.

Instead, you better write a DOS batch to collect the data. 
Stephen Brooks
2006-08-17 15:54:23
Ah, forgot the queue.txt.  Yes that wouldn't work very well. 
Nexus
2006-08-18 10:26:29
Ah yes, that makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation Herb.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25163763 accesses.