stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralMultiple .sav files
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
HaloJones
2007-02-12 12:53:47
Could we please have a single .sav file created no matter which version of the client we're using?  It is intensely irritating that the muon1_cmdline.bat uses a different .sav file form muon1_background!
K`Tetch
2007-02-26 20:20:25
I actually prefer the different ones.
[DPC]white_panther
2007-02-27 00:35:07
why, now you can't 'see' what an background or an commandline run does.......

perhabs an option in the config.txt for 1 or 3 save files.  you happy, me happy, every body happy
Zerberus
2007-02-28 01:45:28
Not only the save files need to be 1 or 3, but the queue files as well.  Queue files are connected to the autosaves and muon fails if they miss.

Currently there are 3 autosave types, but only 1 queue file.  Best would be 1/1 with lockfile to prevent a second start or 3/3.

Zerberus
Stephen Brooks
2007-03-05 14:57:11
I'm tempted to go for just one file of each sort with some sort of lock.  Haven't figured out exactly how to do the lock, though.  Probably one of the neatest ways would be to somehow grab the list of running tasks and make sure the muon1.exe in the same folder wasn't already running.  That wouldn't mess up those people who are running multiple instances in separate dirs either.
HaloJones
2007-03-07 23:26:30
I prefer to run muon1_background but then I don't have any way of seeing what's what so sometimes, I want to start muon1_cmdline to check but it uses a different .sav so I cannot check what "background" was doing.
Zerberus
2007-03-08 16:08:38
After stopping the background client, rename AUTO.SAV to AUTOCLI.SAV (or AUTOGFX.SAV for graphical client).  From what I've experienced so far, all autosave types are compatible.

Erm, why not use a lockfile?  Many programs do it this way, even BOINC.  It would prevent starting muon twice in the same directory.

Zerberus
Stephen Brooks
2007-03-08 16:49:10
What does a lock file do and why would it be any better than just asking Windows whether the program was already running?  I have a vague idea what you mean, it just sounds cludgey.
Zerberus
2007-03-08 23:04:37
A lockfile simply is an empty file created at the start of the program.  It is held open exclusively for the whole runtime (no other program can access it).

muon simply would at startup try to create that file.  If it succeeds, no other muon is running in that folder yet.  Now the file is 'locked' (left open for exclusive access).
If you now try to start muon a second time, the file creation fails, as it is still locked by the muon already running.  In this case stop execution of the second instance.

Zerberus
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162668 accesses.