stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralWho's this "bronson" guy?
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-03 12:06:45
Well anyway he uploaded a load of results with wrong-linefeeds in them, probably from UNIX.  This annoyed the stats generator which temporarily thought he'd scored 3.56%.

If you are 'bronson', then please get the Linux distribution from http://www.project4009.de/edownload.htm that includes a reliable results-uploader script.  smile

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Tom King
2002-10-03 12:38:30
Err if his name was "Boson" you'd have a harder time finding him.  Ha ha.  Oh dear god my physics lecturer has a BAD sense of humor.

"Did you know that there are three types of physicist : those who can count and those who can't."

Mank, mank.
[ARS]odessit
2002-10-03 13:36:44
along these lines:
"There are exactly 10 types of people: These who know binary and these who do not"

Intel P3-M 866 MHz
Duron 1000 MHz
XP 1600+ @ 2000+
AySz88
2002-10-03 16:27:40
Another version of that: there are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
scottsaxman
2002-10-03 17:17:46
I always heard "There's only three kinds of musicians, those who can count and those who can't."
bronson
2002-10-04 01:51:52
hi!

I'm using that very package.  I'm running it on debian stable, debian testing and redhat 7.2 / 7.3 systems.  Is the package ok?  Also the source package doesn't compile under redhat 7.2. Nothing serious It's just missing one #include.  How should the linefeeds be handled?  I could check what's wrong...

Should I shutdown the clients while debugging?

Also the packages are named .tgz which is wrong.  They are bzip2 compressed tar archives so they should be .tar.bz2. I downloaded the package couple of times and wondered why I can't open it with tar -xzf.  If it had been named .tar.bz2 then tar -xjf would have been obvious.

Anyone interested in some kind of script for checking for new version and autoinstalling?  I have seven boxes for this project and manually installing is bit of a pain.  Some of the machines are connected with 9600 bps serial cables with tcp/ip over ssh over tcp/ip over ppp so uploading new version takes quite long.

[This message was edited by bronson on 2002-Oct-04 at 9:28.]
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-04 04:31:27
Hmm maybe your FTP client has a different text/binary default setting than others.  When I download the files from the FTP server, I use the default setting of the Windows FTP client (which is probably ascii) to do so, and Muon1 uploads using "ascii" mode.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-04 04:55:21
Aha, I've just got an e-mail from [Muon.FG]7F4 (Ronny) about this:
Hm, the manualsend script from maverick seems to have still some bugs, 
so the program sed he use to replace \r\n with \n doesn't do this on all
systems , on a SuSE 8.0 I use, it wasn't replaced: 0D0A were uploaded
which caused problems: when you downloaded from the server the 0A is
replaced by 0D0A -> you get 0D0D0A

maybe the wrong filenames are a similar problem.

To solve this problem(s), I've decided to program a real manualsend.  The
needed parts are developed, so I only have to assemble it.  I guess I can
release the beta3 version (maybe with thread support - I don't know yet)
tomorrow.

This seems to describe the sort of problem I am having here.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25160216 accesses.