stephenbrooks.orgForumTalkMallardsMe Venting steam...
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Ben Whitten
2002-05-19 11:05:25
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I was going to get a good comp from america, I'm talking realy realy good (well probs not in ur standards) but 2Ghz, 1Gb RAM 19" screen, well I think it's good and quite cheap too BBBUUUTTT I got pointed out that americans have a different power system to it wouldn't work over here!!!!  so that's my steam vented, nice work with the forum smile

Is it possible to take the american comp to a shop and get an adaptor or something in the back?  or would it mean I have to get new motors for everything in it?
Stephen Brooks
2002-05-19 12:52:45
I think you ought to be able to get an adaptor for converting from your mains to US mains!  Either you need an adaptor, or simply a new Power-supply unit in the back of your computer.

The innards of the computer will almost certainly work of the same internal voltage: it's just the bit that converts the mains to that lower voltage which needs replacing.

I'm really not into computer hardware that much but I'd be willing to bet there are a fair few people around who could fix that up for you.
Pascal
2002-05-19 13:19:33
Hi ben, if you're in Germany, and perhaps in Mainz, I'll help you.
You may have a look for a new power supply somewhere on the net, if you've got it, just come along with me. 
Post it here, if you wanna come.

2002-05-19 16:45:51
Most PC power supplies are either auto-sensing (works with any voltage between 110v & 240v) or can be switched to 110v/230v. However I don't know if US spec systems use the same PSU's as those in europe.

The monitor or any other external equipment may be a problem as things like printers/monitors tend to be set at a fixed input voltage which would be 110v.

Cheers

Orbi cool
Ben Whitten
2002-05-20 09:38:13
Thanks for the thought Pascal but I live in englang big grin but if it can adapt to the V difference I supose that is ok, but it's the Hz which would be the problem cause america is 60Hz and england is 50Hz so enything with a motor from america would work slower and I'm gussing the comp would mess up, but I'm not sure bout that
Thomas King
2002-05-21 12:05:51
As Stephen said, the internal jobbies (that's a technical term) all run on the same internal power supply.  All you'll need to do is take it down to the local computer gut-wrencher and get the greasy ponytail guy to stick a new powersupply in and probably charge you 80£ for it.

Grank grank!
Orbi-tel
2002-05-22 01:54:53
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas King:
As Stephen said, the internal jobbies (that's a technical term) all run on the same internal power supply.  All you'll need to do is take it down to the local computer gut-wrencher and get the greasy ponytail guy to stick a new powersupply in and probably charge you 80£ for it.

Grank grank!

You can pick up a 300W PSU for about 25 quid.
Thomas King
2002-05-22 05:48:28
Ah yes, I can pick up one for free, as it's sitting on my shelf. 

What I was getting at is you'll probably want a decent supply, the cheap ones tend to to provide slightly wonky outputs (11.6v instead of 12, 6.1v instead of 5 on this particular one).  And of course, the computer shops try to get away with murder if they think thay can.  Well, not murder, obviously, but they'd try to charge you 30 squid for reseating your parrots.

Grank grank!
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25163525 accesses.