stephenbrooks.orgForumTalkMallardsCrystals err errr crystals.
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Tom King
2002-10-08 11:53:47
Err odd unknown crystals and err weigh and errr disolve in SOLVENT ERRR SOLVENT that's err boiling of course and then cool but SLOWLY so that errr MORE CRYSTALS of the SAME STUFF form but with LESS IMPURITIES (apparantly) then SWIRL and TIP INTO FILTER FLASK and apply VACUUM and the FILTER PAPER tears and sucks your crystals into the BUCHNAAARRRRR FLASK and you do it again and then DRY them and DESSICATE them and WEIGH them and DETERMINE THIER MELTING POINT and ERRRR what do you know but you've got pretty much what you started out with only less of it because of ERR EXPERIMENTAL ERROR like me errrrrr tipping the ERLYNMEYER FLASK into my LABCOAT.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-08 14:12:41
Physical Chemistry.  Odd.  Errr

"Mass Spectrometer"
No!  No!  Stop pointing that thing at me you imbecile, do you have any idea what it DOES?

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-10 07:33:40
quote:
BUCHNAAARRRRR FLASK [...] ERLYNMEYER FLASK

ErErer chemists have an annoying habit of naming pieces of glassware after other chemists, which makes it difficult to tell which of the objects in the lab are glassware and which are chemists.

There's something that's been nagging me about that impurity-removing experiment: how do they get rid of the impurities that have a melting point HIGHER than the crystals and DON'T dissolve in the solvent?  ErEr like IRON for instance.  You seem to need a phase (PHASE ERR phase no let's not get started on that) in between dissolving them and cooling where you filter the solution to get rid of the solid... erm, crap.  Or NON-VOLATILE NON-SOLUBLE IMPURITIES as the chemists/round-bottomed flasks might say.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162848 accesses.