stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsRemember board state when inserting coin
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
m4ster
2002-09-16 06:44:08
Hi!

I noticed that sometimes the order in which coins are inserted is wrong.  E.g. I insert a coin and in the meantime one or more other coins have been inserted.  Probaly this happens when someone with a faster connection clicks the arrow after me but his command reaches the server before mine.  I lost (and won) some games due to this.  In my opinion the coin should only be inserted if the state of the board is unaltered from when I clicked the arrow.  One solution would be to keep track of the number of coins in the board in the URL, e.g.
http://www.stephenbrooks.org/browserwars/index.php?bno=x&game=yyy&coin=zz
with zz being a number from 0-80.

m4ster
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-16 12:10:31
Trouble is, if I implemented that I'd probably get a load of people complaining that they can't place counters very easily if on a busy board.  I'd recommend hitting refresh once more before immediately clicking the appropriate arrow.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
m4ster
2002-09-16 16:50:15
But the problem occurs especially when the board is busy.  A busy board increases the probability that two or more people hit the arrow at about the same time and get an unpredictable result.  I'd rather insert no coin than insert a coin at a place (or time) I don't want to.

m4ster
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25161145 accesses.