stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1General[DPC] has joined ur quest for Muon Crunching.
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
[DPC] Jive
2002-10-16 16:07:49
Just started with this coz i heard about it on our forum ...
And already it gave me my first buzz after only a couple of hours ..

I just ran the client, watched the graphics .. read on abit ...
Imported the top 1k list ...

And lo & behold ... my 6th result gave me a 2.907781 score smile

Is there any planning for a "real" service-type of client .. so i can run it gracefully at idle-pace on some of my NT boxes ??
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-16 16:29:53
Welcome to the project!  I'm sure you'll see some familiar and some not-so-familiar teams in the stats list.  There's a fair bit of action there right now - 2nd, 3rd and 4th place have been in constant dispute.

If you want to run the client at idle priority, set the priority to "Background" ( in the config.txt.  Then although FireDaemon is not perfect, I think some others have managed to get this to work as a service.  Try the forum search feature for "service" or "NT service"?

There are no plans as yet for a "proper" service client, as I'm not keen on too much platform-specific coding.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
[ARS]odessit
2002-10-16 17:50:15
Jive
Welcome!  Am I glad that you and your team are joining this project or what?  big grin

Stephen, I told you that team statistics will bring some good DC teams into the play wink
Almost all old rivals are here.  SG, DPC and ARS cool Come on, bring over some machines!

[ARS]Odessit

Intel P3-M 866 MHz
Duron 1000 MHz
XP 1600+ @ 2000+
[DPC] Jive
2002-10-17 02:29:01
Then i guess the client would become "condemned" to my personal playboxes & workmachines ...

And the main bulk of my power will keep on kicking all ur butt's in ogr smile
Dave Peachey
2002-10-17 09:18:47
Jive,

Unless you have corporate (or personal!) reasons for not running Firedaemon, I can heartily recommend this approach (despite the damage it may do to Ars' Team Atomic Milkshake's standing big grin ).

The command line version runs very nicely on six boxes here in my office's testbed (four NT4 and two Win2K machines) with narry a problem using Firedaemon 0.09c. I've had no client failures or system lockups since I installed it on these machines some two months ago.

Cheers
Dave
[DPC] Jive
2002-10-17 12:31:51
Well .. i can sum up a few poblems for running it on alot of machines.

1: Rolling Out & updating the clients.

2: Alle machines need internet-access to flush, otherwise the need is there to manually retrieve the results & compile it in one big flush.

3: Harvesting the data-files & compiling a global result to feed the clients better sources.

4: Machine stability in a profesional enviorenment.

Just a few frown
thormodr
2002-10-17 18:12:15
I have Muon up and running as a service on my NT machine at work using Firedaemon.  It works well enough.  I have only had one problem.  After a system crash and cold boot, the muon_background.exe file seemed to be corrupted.  To fix it I just erased everything in the muon directory except for result.txt and results.dat and unzipped the v4.21b files into the directory.  Once I did that I restarted the service and all is now good.  One word to wise, do not select the 'restart after failure' option when registering the service.  I had to deal with error message every 5 seconds until I stopped the service... The program otherwise causes no problems and you don't even know it's there...
big grin
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-18 02:17:14
quote:
3: Harvesting the data-files & compiling a global result to feed the clients better sources.

Although this is done by some teams, it is not at all necessary.  I'm thinking version 5 should have an automatic results.dat downloader too, so that might not be necessary either in the future.

quote:
1: Rolling Out & updating the clients.

Getting the client to be self-updating is rather difficult.  I might want to put this in later, but not for a while.

quote:
2: All machines need internet-access to flush, otherwise the need is there to manually retrieve the results & compile it in one big flush.

True, but the offline machines will keep trying at intervals until they _can_ send results.  If you're running on a LAN with limited internet connection you might be able to schedule a task to concatenate the results files onto a long file in a network share, then send that using a dummy copy of muon1's manualsend.

But I don't actually mind at all if you don't put all your machines on here - to be honest having too many might just flood my server and use up my HDD space, and I currently have about the right amount of power.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
[DPC] Zephyer
2002-10-23 11:26:07
quote:
Originally posted by odessit:
Jive
Welcome!  Am I glad that you and your team are joining this project or what?  big grin

Stephen, I told you that team statistics will bring some good DC teams into the play wink
Almost all old rivals are here.  SG, DPC and ARS cool Come on, bring over some machines!

Hell yeah ... DPC is running good ... going for spot #9 ... big grin
We've got members comming towards Muon like bees to honey ... !
I'm glad we're on board wink
[ARS]odessit
2002-10-23 14:41:52
Well ECCp project is over.  [shamless plug] ARS is in first place razz [/shamless plug]
How many people will joun the muon project from DPC team?

ARStechnica Team Atomic Milkshake
Intel P3-M 866 MHz
Duron 1000 MHz
XP 1600+ @ 2000+
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-23 15:04:26
Hi all;

Just joined this project as proud DPC member.

I thought it would be nice to let you all know i'm testing my beta app that can be started as a service, and does nothing more than starting the client hidden and then closes... I know this is a kind of a workaround, but to the user this is not noticable...

Additionally, I have begun programming a sort of a "proxy" that fetches the network cliënts outputs periodically, and sends the results to the internet.
Ofcourse, this is far from ready, but until a real proxy becomes available this could be a lot of help for current network users.

I'll keep you up to date!

[TeamBVD]
mad-ness
2002-10-24 00:06:13
Cool.  smile

Great news.  Perhaps someone with the needed skills can program up some applications that will deal with a lot of user requests so we can all benefit while Stephen focuses on the client and the science itself.

Ars Technica
Team Atomic Milkshake
http://www.teamatomicmilkshake.com/index.php
[Ars]kenlow
2002-10-24 03:43:10
quote:
Originally posted by Floppus:
Hi all;

Just joined this project as proud DPC member.

I thought it would be nice to let you all know i'm testing my beta app that can be started as a service, and does nothing more than starting the client hidden and then closes... I know this is a kind of a workaround, but to the user this is not noticable...

Additionally, I have begun programming a sort of a "proxy" that fetches the network cliënts outputs periodically, and sends the results to the internet.
Ofcourse, this is far from ready, but until a real proxy becomes available this could be a lot of help for current network users.

I'll keep you up to date!

[TeamBVD]

If you ever need beta testers, you can count me in big grin

These are features that I am looking for smile
mad-ness
2002-10-25 01:37:39
I just got the client installed for the first time.  smile

Pretty solid so far, we will see how it goes (I don't expect any problems).

I, too, would be willing to beta test whatever/whenever Floppus.

Ars Technica
Team Atomic Milkshake
http://www.teamatomicmilkshake.com/index.php
KParks
2002-10-27 00:00:29
Well hello there.....

Good to see you again DPC...

Guess us olives from TVM will need to fire up the bbq again wink

Glad to have you guys here, lets get ready to rock and roll
[DPC] Zephyer
2002-11-01 03:28:34
Nice flush from DPC on 31/11/2002 ... big grin

[joke mode]
I was just thinking...
Is Stephen's computer up to all this data that's comming his way eek
[/joke mode]

Member off [DPC]Alphen // Project Muon[br]
Don't Underestimate The Power Of The NeT
God is my Pilot, but the Devil is my Bombadeer....
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25161825 accesses.