stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsPoliteness, please.
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Tom King
2002-10-18 13:30:22
How about a bit of basic ettiquette on the boards?  What I mean is, if theres OBVIOUSLY a game in progress, as in the time since last move is LOW then WHY WHY WHY do some people butt in and make thier own move?  It TOTALLY ruins what can have been be a quite interesting and taxing game.  I was playing an opera opponent just now, and the game had been going for about half an hour and was getting really, really good.  Actually tense.  And then some mozilla bastard comes in and wrecks it. 

Don't do it, please.  Have some consideration for others.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-18 13:44:45
Okay, looks like it's time for me to think about implementing a "board-locking" feature.  The general idea would be that once more than two IP addresses have placed more than three counters each on the board, there would be an option to "lock" the board so that only those players could play.  The lock would expire after a certain amount of time, but would be renewed every time one of the "locked-in" players places a counter.

I was thinking lock-expiry times in seconds for boards

could be

No lock102030

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
allansaunders
2002-10-18 17:15:45
Oh I don't know.  It seems to me like thats part of the big picture of this game.  What IS agravating is when someone using the same browser as myself blunders into a game underway.
THAT'S rudeness. 
I recommend a big shiny linky on the game page directing people to check out the forum, so that all of these important pronouncements can be seen and ignored.
BTW-nice site!
wonk
2002-10-21 04:34:35
Okay who is this stupid IE6-moron who keeps ruining my games?!  I mean how stupid can someone possibly be?  Unbelievable, what a gimboid, keeps messing up my game against NS6 ALL THE FRICKIN TIME.  GO GET A BRAIN, MORON .

#
(Edited by me for language, not because it was that bad but just because the sheer act of moderation makes my ego expand a bit)

[This message was edited by Thomas King on 2002-Oct-21 at 17:31.]

(Edited by me smile wth is a "gimboid"?)

[This message was edited by wonk on 2002-Oct-22 at 9:09.]
Tom King
2002-10-21 10:28:41
Oi, chill.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-21 10:59:04
Tom is a moderator.  Expect things here to get less predictable from now on.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Tom King
2002-10-21 11:37:39
By "moderator", Stephen of course doesn't mean that I'm slotted into a nuclear reactor to slow down NEUTRONS ERR NEUTRONS, he means that well, I can alter posts.  Which in a way is duller, but less warm.
TheFinalLoser
2002-10-22 01:15:38
thats subobtimal, so you can't read in the dark, cause youre not gloomy enough.....

"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."
Mt.20:16
wonk
2002-10-22 02:07:18
Okay fellas sorry for the rudeness, totally forgot to mention that Stephen did an awsome job with the game.  I really love it, except that sometimes there are homos who mess up a good game.  Keep it up.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-22 07:25:14
What do you think about the "board-lock" idea on some boards?  (I mean, is it worth putting in - I just want a few people to say 'yes' so I know it's worth doing).  Actually we might want to go from 8 to 12 boards at some stage if I do that so there's a bit more space.

Michael The Guest
2002-10-23 13:30:49
To my mind, some games should always be left open.  The added risk of a new participant blocking your perfect strategy adds to the tension.
moonshine
2002-10-23 14:33:20
Hi Stephen,

I like your "locked-board" idea.  That way two people could really fight it out for a little while if they wish without anyone interfering.

Cheers,
moonshine

-------------------------------
The number you have dialed is imaginary.  Please rotate your phone 90° clockwise and try again.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-23 15:07:54
Yeah so some boards are lock-able and some not.  Simplest thing would have the top 4 being open and the bottom 4 lockable for 60 seconds.  If I gave players a button to manually refresh the lock (instead of having to play a counter to refresh it), then that'd work even for "advanced" players who take 5 minutes to figure out a move or something.

moonshine
2002-10-24 10:05:56
I guess the only reason to take 5 minutes for one move is having to look up the "perfect" solution after the first moves in the library...there are complete win-strategies for this game in existence but it's not really fun to play that way...

Cheers,
moonshine

-------------------------------
The number you have dialed is imaginary.  Please rotate your phone 90° clockwise and try again.
Kwil
2002-10-24 15:37:19
Locking sounds fine to me.  Especially a timed lock.

Hit a button and the board is locked for 60 seconds so that only IPs that have already played can play a piece.  Make it so that you can only lock the board when you can play (to prevent someone from making a script to basically lock the board permanently)

You definitely don't want a permanent lock because that would mean more maintenance as there would be times when folks lock up the boards and then leave for the night.

And probably a good idea to restrict locking only to those folks who've played at least three pieces.  (which is different from restricting it based on browser-type)

btw: Any luck with recording total games played/total games won yet?  I could go through and manually add everything, but by the time I finished the scores would be all different again.

Kwil
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 10:55:40
Board locking is now implemented.

Or at least I hope it is.  The feature is in, so far as I know, but I haven't yet been able to test it, or seen anyone else using it.

Clarification: board-locking is only allowed on boards 4-8, with 1-3 being the traditional "free-for-all" rules.

[This message was edited by Stephen Brooks on 2002-Oct-26 at 18:36.]
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 11:35:20
WHOOPS... Due to a really stupid coding error, the game didn't work for about 50 minutes just then.  Fixed that now.

Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 13:17:14
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Brooks:
WHOOPS... Due to a really stupid coding error, the game didn't work for about 50 minutes just then.  Fixed that now.

Edit -- also fixed some more implementation bugs just now with some more extensive testing...

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a _spiral space-time whirly thing_, AND an interesting plotline"

Kwil
2002-10-26 17:53:42
Best add one more check to the locking mechanism.

Right now there's a game out there that only Mozilla can play.  (The mozilla players are the only ones who played more than 3 counters I guess, each Opera player must have played less than 3) and some Mozilla user evidently thinks it's funny to just maintain the lock, thus keeping the board unavailable.

Which brings to mind a new feature idea for long term:

Click a button that allows you to type a short (40char?) message to whatever IP played last on a board.  That message is put into a queue for them, and the next time they play on that board, they get all their messages and the queue is flushed.  Once the game ends, all queues still on that board are flushed.

Kwil
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 17:57:50
ROFL!!  I didn't see that one coming.  OK, a quick update is in order to the script... more than two distinct BROWSERS have to be present, not distinct IPs.  Sending messages is a cool idea to - I'll think about that for a later upgrade.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25164402 accesses.