stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser Warsgaah! cheaters!
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
eszett
2002-10-26 18:04:51
ugh... there's this mozilla user who made a stupid move that would enable opera to get an easy win.  but the problem is that he locked it so only two mozilla users could play!  every time the lock is about to run out, he refreshes it so that nobody can make a move.  this has been going on for about sixteen minutes, and it has prompted to request some restrictions on the locking feature:
  • lock can only be renewed (automatically) when a player plays a piece
  • there must be more than one browser if the game shall be locked OR
  • there cannot be two of the same browser in a lock
  • if at all possible, something to limit users in a lock based on ip
i would thank you greatly if you added these limits to allow for a fair game.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 18:12:09
Yes I saw that.  Actually I thought it was quite funny.  I've changed the condition that used to say "more than two distinct IPs needed for lock" to "more than two distinct browsers". That should work.

There is still the possibility now that a mix of browsers will perpetually renew their lock.  I think they'd get bored though unless they found some automatic way of doing it (Opera's refresh every... command would).  If people do end up hogging boards like that I'll just make it so that locks can only be refreshed a certain number of times - i.e. not if it's been more than 15 minutes since the last move.

Actually, I've now made it impossible to refresh or start a lock if it's been more than 15 minutes since the last move.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 18:18:06
Now we've made it a bit more stable, I've activated potential board-locking on all 8 boards.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
eszett
2002-10-26 18:23:58
thanks.

also one more thing... i was thinking there could be a handful of boards where groups of people can just play together and have the option to deny any other users from intervening; in essence a private game.  but it would be just for fun and the winner's browser would not go against the tally of wins per browser.  but maybe the private games could have their own tally.  also, i just thought up of a tournament game, but i think that'd be stretching it too much.
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-26 18:27:47
You can actually lock a group of any size (greater than 2) into the boards at present.  I've been thinking about doing a per-player not per-browser game for a while, but I was hoping to be able to interface it with the signup for this bulletin board (which also logs IPs), so you'd be able to sign in here and be signed into the game and any other thing on the site.  That might not work though.

If I did per-player, the idea of a tournament could be there, or I was thinking there could be "levels" of players where you somehow work your way up by winning games against people.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162864 accesses.