stephenbrooks.orgForumTalkMallards"Pentium Pro Instructions"
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-06 22:00:42
I have a nice toggle-switch on my compiler that switches "Pentium Pro Instructions" on.  The only trouble is, when I switch them on, the program starts evaluating 226890<0.1 to "TRUE". In fact it seems that pretty-much everything is smaller than 0.1. Hmm.  This also has the side-effect that all the lines I plot come out as points.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-06 22:05:28
It appears that replacing 0.1 by (float)0.1 does the job.  The value of 0.1 is evidently much higher on a Pentium Pro processor unless you round it to single precision.  I think my compiler is retarded.  It's come back at me with "Error: Expression too complicated" before now.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-06 22:11:27
I have come to the conclusion that it would be proper and beneficial to humanity and the scientific effort in general if I left that compiler switch well enough alone.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162808 accesses.