stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser Warsidentity crisis...
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-04 12:10:37
Has anyone else rumbled the fact that "eszett" actually used to be "jyvassa", who before that was "Æ"?

Err you know, if they made an extra-large black briefcase that also doubled as a 1-passenger car, some fool would complain it was too large to open at their desk
ß
2003-02-05 16:38:42
remember now, tungsten is highly malleable and ductile Wink

i have always had trouble deciding on some handle i would use everywhere on the web, irc, and such and so.  i think that i'm finally erring towards eszett because it's actually do like it.  i started disliking Æ in about two weeks, and was sorry i ever chose jyvasaa because i have no clue wtf that means except it's some finnish word.  but i like the eszett because i take german and because the german government has taken steps to eliminate it from the language.

i could just as easily start rambling on about tungsten, but that's for another day Wink
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-05 17:33:26
quote:
i have always had trouble deciding on some handle i would use everywhere on the web, irc, and such

I'd never have guessed.

quote:
Originally posted by ß:
i'm finally erring towards eszett because it's actually do like it.

(Explaining why you posted as 'ß').

Err you know, if they made an extra-large black briefcase that also doubled as a 1-passenger car, some fool would complain it was too large to open at their desk
wizbones
2003-02-05 17:36:01
Are they really talking about removing eszett from the language?  Why is that I wonder.  I always thought it was a cool symbol myself.  Guess if they do you'd have it all to your self Roll Eyes

-----
The maximum effective range of an excuse is Zero point Zero Meters !!
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-05 17:38:22
Oh so 'eszett' is the name for that beta-looking symbol.  Unfortunately with that ambiguity you'll get a load of people calling you "beta" when you sign in with the symbol.

Think of another one.

wizbones
2003-02-05 18:42:52
Never knew that, hey learn something new everyday.  Guess if you can live with it go for it, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

-----
The maximum effective range of an excuse is Zero point Zero Meters !!
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-06 09:43:41
I thought it was a sort of missile used by the Luftwaffe.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25341843 accesses.