stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsW3C's validator page doesn't validate (2003-Nov-06)
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2003-11-06 07:43:00
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fvalidator.w3.org%2Fcheck%3Furi%3D
Big Grin

HB Pencils, also sold as "Moron's Choice" Graphite Cigars.
[DPC]Stephan202
2003-11-06 08:36:44
LOL.  How bored were you when you tried that?  Wink

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
Stephen Brooks
2003-11-07 01:09:32
Opera has Ctrl-Alt-V for "validate page", so I just hit it twice!

Yesterday I wondered if I could upgrade a document I was writing to fully-compliant XHTML 1.1, so was fiddling around with these things.
NB: the rest of my site probably isn't even compliant HTML 4 so don't raise your expectations.  Big Grin Converting this one thing to XHTML 1.1 took 3 hours and I still lost a couple of things.  Well, actually I only lost one bit of formatting, but IE has some strange idea of what image width=100% means (seems to think it's the larger of {image native width, width of containing box}), so in IE that goes wrong too.

[DPC]Stephan202
2003-11-07 02:13:05
If I'm correct (I might be wrong, but since I post this I'm pretty sure I'm right), 'width: 100%;' in CSS means the width of the page/window.  When you have a margin/padding for the box (or body) or image, some of these combinations may cause a horizontal scrollbar.  I've had that problem multiple times.  Just play with the padding and margin of both the image and the box till you find what's causing the problem.  Then just make sure that 2 * (margin|padding) + width = 100%. Works for me Smile

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
Stephen Brooks
2003-11-08 06:37:29
If only IE adhered to that!  I think it's meant to be 100% of the width of the containing box element, or the user agent's view aperture if you're not within a box.  But that wasn't the nasty one.  This is the nasty one.

[DPC]Stephan202
2003-11-08 10:43:57
That's an interesting, but most of all a very friendly thread Wink

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25163087 accesses.