stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Q&AChoices of Work
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Ripper
2003-11-17 14:44:59
I am fairly new to this.  I have several computers that were running SETI, that I wanted to switch over to this project, but am unable to get them work.  All computers but my main computer are disconnected from everything.  I would like to give them work to do. 

I saw messages about FTPing the work down and back up, but don't see where the files can be downloaded.  I also saw something about the size of files that can be downloaded and don't see that either. 

I am running the command line version as it is typically faster than GUI, but that is far as I can actually see choices.  Can anyone help?

With the new version, FTP is automated and so don't see anything.  When I went up to the FTP site, the only option was to add an ftp site, which I don't want to do.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Boots
2003-11-17 21:23:37
Hi Ripper, welcome.
OK I believe this is a way of doing what you require.
Copy across the whole folder (Muon or what you called it) to your other PC's, that do not have an Internet connection.
Delete the files results.dat and results.txt from the PC you copy too, the will be generated again after a first run.
On each PC edit config.txt and change the line - Auto-send results ([Y]es, [N]o): N. This will not upload any data at any time.
On your PC connected you can upload data using the manual.bat now, this will upload data if the results.txt file is grater than 10k this will be deleted until the next run, and then regenerated. 
Before running again Cut and Paste one at a time each offline PC's results.txt file to your Muon folder that is online, manualsend, then restart all Muon again.  IF you wish to hang around for others to comment or need extra help or something you may not understand, I'll be around.

Boots

Life the Universe and Everything!
Stephen Brooks
2003-11-18 01:03:08
Basically if you switch off auto-sending by editing config.txt, your offline machines will just pile up results in results.txt until you remove results.txt and send it from another machine.

When Muon1 finishes a result, it adds it to both results.txt and results.dat, but results.txt is deleted each timethe results are sent, so this is the one you need to take off the offline computers and send using an online one (after you've manualsent that one's results.txt, of course).

HB Pencils, also sold as "Moron's Choice" Graphite Cigars.
Ripper
2003-11-18 09:53:35
Thanks for the update.  I am still lost.  Both of you provided great information concerning the upload, but I assume that I need to start MUON, then copy a file over to the machines which do not have access.  Which file is that?

I then run MUON on the non-linked computers and once they are done processing, I copy results.txt to the linked computer and run the manual send bat file.  Is that correct?

Can I run this manul program while MUON is processing?  Or will I have to stop processing prior to attempting the upload?  Is the download automatic and once downloaded, will it automatically begin processing or simply stop?

I guess I had better go look at the batch file, as I do know how to read batch files.

THANK YOU AGAIN...
Henri Valta
2003-11-18 10:34:24
You don't need to download any work units like in SETI, you just run the client and it starts producing results which are saved to results.txt file.  This file is then uploaded to the ftp servers.  If you want, you can download a 100-result sample file or 500-result sample file from the main page and insert these results as seeds in your results.dat file, so you don't have to start evolve a new design from scratch.
Ripper
2003-11-18 14:05:38
Thanks, that helps a lot and explains the sample files I see online.

So, with this being the case, what keeps the computers from calculating the same samples?

Just curious.  I have 7 computers that I am going to run this over to.  What keeps the 7 computers from processing the same sample?

I guess that isn't relevant.  I will process until someone tells me to stop.  Is there a maximum file size that results.txt can be and still be uploaded?

THANKS
[DPC]Stephan202
2003-11-18 14:42:22
The base for a WU is (semi) random, so your comps won't do the same work.  There is no actualy upload limit, afaik.  It's just that the admins of the FTP-site most likely will not be happy if you start uploading huge files

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
Stephen Brooks
2003-11-18 15:07:23
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC]Stephan202:
It's just that the admins of the FTP-site most likely will not be happy if you start uploading huge files
But I will be very happy if you upload huge files.  Provided those files are full of valid Muon results, that is.

[DPC]Stephan202
2003-11-18 15:24:03
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Brooks:
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC]Stephan202:
It's just that the admins of the FTP-site most likely will not be happy if you start uploading huge files
But I will be very happy if you upload huge files.  Provided those files are full of valid Muon results, that is.

We know you'll be Big Grin

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162243 accesses.