stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralProcessor specific optimisation
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
[SG]Santas little helper
2005-01-01 13:55:27
Hi Stephen,
I'm just a newb with programming but why don't you (I guess you don't, if not can you tell me something about your optimisations) optimise the programm for the processor specific built-in-functions like SSE2, PNI or 3DNow!. Is it too difficult or time consuming to do that?  For example in the Dev-cpp IDE I think one could do that just by choose it from a drop down list ... (or is it a fallacy?)

Happy New Year Big Grin

[SG]Santas little helper
Stephen Brooks
2005-01-04 08:33:17
The compiler I have only supports the basic "Pentium Pro" optimisations.  It might be interesting to try it on e.g. the Intel C compiler to see what that does, but that compiler is really expensive!  I'm also not sure there are many things that SSE and the like can help with in Muon1 (a lot of time is spent doing "sqrt" operations), though I've not really got anything with SSE working before.

Fortunately with the multiple threads it's already optimised quite well for the dual core chips coming later this year.
[SG]Santas little helper
2005-01-04 11:59:56
If the world is too boring for you anytime ... try some other compilers Big Grin
Well, until now - well done man
(This was a commendation for the good work ... Wink )

[SG]Santas little helper
[DPC]Pconfig
2005-01-04 13:31:45
Hey Stephen,

i heard somewhere that if you do alot of calcutlation with single precision you will get lots of speedgain if you use SSE2. I thought the speed gain would be less of al calcs were done with double precision.  Anyway it would definitly give a little speed gain.  You could also try the CMOV optimalization for athlon xp's.

And about expensive, just try them first and if it works go the the neutrino factory and tell them this is something the project needs Big Grin
solid-box
2005-01-05 03:16:13
i dunno if this of any help, came across it a while ago, microsoft have a free complier availble on their website

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

seems pretty free Smile
[DPC]Pconfig
2005-01-05 04:56:36
I don't know if stephen uses C++ and i cant find on the site if the compiler can take advantage of optimalizations.
solid-box
2005-01-05 05:12:55
hmm

it says on the website

"Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker"

its a c compiler too i guess, and it does have switches/options to optimise for p1/p2/p3/p4 and athlon

anyways even so im pretty sure you can download the intel compiler for evaluation purposes too

http://www.intel.com/software/products/global/eval.htm

and

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Coding-languages-Compilers/Intel-C-Compiler-for-Windows.shtml

anyways im not a programmer i just remembered this from something else a while ago and i thought i would just post it in case
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25159432 accesses.