stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralFTP troubles
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
scottsaxman
2002-08-22 20:58:23
I am having trouble getting results uploaded.  I tried manual_send, and received this error message, "Could not send results: An FTP connection with the server could not be established." It has always worked before, as far as I know.  I am using 4.21b. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott
Jim Reed
2002-08-23 05:02:46
Most likely it's just a temporary problem.  I've seen it a few times.  I can often connect a few minutes later.  If not, just wait until tomorrow.

Manualsend renames your results.txt to a long name including your username.  Check to make sure that it was renamed to results.txt when the ftp failed (I think that happens automatically, but it's good to make sure).
Dave Peachey
2002-08-23 08:32:09
Err chaps

As a new user, I've been having ftp problems when using the 4.21b command line client.

In my instance, and when using the manual send option, I get the ftp pop-up window which appears to be doing the business.  However, the window doesn't close down on (apparent) completion of the data upload and I find I have to ^C to close it.  Unlike scottsaxman, I get no obvious (to me) error messages.

I should note here that I am uploading via a home-networked machine which is not the directly-connected internet gateway machine.  Is this likely to be a symptom of my problem.

A (possibly) related issue is that, although the stats system is showing me as a user - [ARS]Dave Peachey - I have no results credited to my name despite having uploaded thirty or more results over the course of last night and this morning (UK time).

Any help for this particular newbie would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

[This message was edited by Dave Peachey on 2002-Aug-23 at 15:44.]
David Bass
2002-08-23 10:52:34
Check to make sure you haven't got a small dialog box hidden away saying that the results have been sent - for some reason this gets punted to the back on my machine.

The last bit of text on the FTP CLI should be "Goodbye".

As for your results not showing this may be obvious, but check to ensure that there has been a stats update since you sent your data (the update date/time is at the top of the stats list)
Dave Peachey
2002-08-23 12:15:47
David,

Thanks for the help.

Actually, I've resolved the problem myself!  For me, at least, the results sending process doesn't like working across a network - regardless of whether or not it's a small home-based 3-machine one.

Earlier this evening (UK time) I resent the completed work from my directed-connecetd internet gateway box and everything appeared to have worked correctly - including getting the "Results sent successfully" dialogue box (so I clicked on the OK and everything closed down as I'd hoped).

Suffice it to say, with the most recent stats update, I now have an opening score big grin

Cheers
Dave
scottsaxman
2002-08-23 13:16:02
Well, I tried again today, with the same outcome - cannot connect to FTP server.  I can't figure out anything else to do, so I'm going to wait until it tries to autosend, which ought to be here in another hour or two. 

Scott
Stephen Brooks
2002-08-23 15:08:35
Annoyingly the actual stephenbrooks.org domain has been down on-and-off recently.  Infopop aren't really great at uptime.  Instead of "five nines of reliability" (99.999% up) I'm getting more like one nine (90%).
scottsaxman
2002-08-31 21:37:32
Is it possible that an ISP wouldn't allow FTP?  I can not think of anything else.  Autosend doesn't work, manual_send doesn't either, at least on this computer.  A computer at the office sends perfectly.

The first line - open stephenbrooks.org - then it says connection refused.

Any more ideas?
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-01 03:26:13
Yes, that most likely sounds like some sort of firewall.  Though usually you find things like FTP being blocked only on company LANs, not regular ISPs.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
scottsaxman
2002-09-01 06:54:44
Would it be possible to get the results to you another way?  I'm sitting on just over 500K of results from 4.21a and 4.21b, and would like to get rid of them.

Thanks,
Scott
Bluumi [SwissTeam.NET]
2002-09-01 09:45:34
roll eyes

Send it from your Office... You write, that it send perfectly from there!

smile
scottsaxman
2002-09-01 17:56:16
True, it's just that I won't be there for another 2 weeks, and it isn't very convenient.  I may have to do just that, though.
David Bass
2002-09-02 14:54:38
I don't understand the term, but my company's firewall/proxy combination requires that "passive mode" ftp be used.  I understand that some ISP put in so-called "transparent" firewalls that also require this mode.  IE offers this as a configuration option, but what about the CLI ftp we use?
Chris Johnson
2002-09-02 16:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by scottsaxman:
Is it possible that an ISP wouldn't allow FTP?

It seems unlikely - as Stephen says, it would be more common as an office firewall block rather than an ISP one.

You could try logging into a different FTP server to see if the problem is unique to Stephen's server.  At the risk of insulting your computer knowledge, heres how:

1. Start a DOS/command prompt window
2. Type:

ftp (enter)
open ftp.cdrom.com (enter)

The FTP server should respond with something like

Connected to cdrom.wip.digitalriver.com.
220 drftp.digitalriver.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.

If instead there is an error is similar to that with Muon1 (connection refused) it looks as though the problem isn't related to the passive/active FTP issue.

If there is no error, to log in, type:
anonymous (enter)
your@email.address (enter)

and the FTP should respond with its welcome message (or possibly a server full message).

Type:
bye (enter)
exit (enter)

to quit.
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-03 03:23:29
quote:
Unfortunately, this may not be the problem in case discussed above, as a firewall stopping active mode transfers should only kick in as the file is being sent, not during the FTP login.

I'll add "quote pasv" to the beginning of the FTP script in the development code anyway, as it appears to make things easier at the client/firewall end (and my server doesn't really care too much about it at the other).  Meanwhile I'll let Chris Johnson tell you how a mouse works.
Chris Johnson
2002-09-03 08:25:04
quote:
Meanwhile I'll let Chris Johnson tell you how a mouse works.

Eh?
scottsaxman
2002-09-07 21:21:34
Well, any attempt to help isn't taken as an insult to my computer knowledge, which happens to be average at best.  I tried to ftp cdrom as you suggested.  Here's the result:

ftp>open ftp.cdrom.com
> ftp: connect :Connection refused

Any more thoughts?  This is just what happened when I tried manual_send.
Hannibal
2002-09-08 02:58:47
quote:
Originally posted by scottsaxman:
Well, any attempt to help isn't taken as an insult to my computer knowledge, which happens to be average at best.  I tried to ftp cdrom as you suggested.  Here's the result:

ftp>open ftp.cdrom.com
> ftp: connect :Connection refused

Any more thoughts?  This is just what happened when I tried manual_send.

It looks, that you have blocked FTP port (21) on your firewall.  You should contact your internet provider in order to he allow this port.  If you have your own firewall, you should allow it too.  However, Stephen can be run FTP server on diffrent port, which is allowed to all (i.e. 80 HTTP or 110 POP3 ).

Hannibal
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25163517 accesses.