stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralDecayRotB Continues to climb
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
waffleironhead
2007-06-07 20:07:30
Man oh Man is this exciting.  DecayRotB has been on the climb.  In just 2 months it has doubled its efficiency.  ~4.1 to ~8.2%. Lets hope the next 2 months are just as eventful.  Congrats to everyone who has been crunching.
RGtx
2007-06-07 21:00:12
I think that you may have displaced the decimal point a little.  Nevertheless, positive progress is being made in both projects.
Stephen Brooks
2007-06-08 08:51:45
Yep, pretty encouraging, especially as the thing that broke it out of its rut was a manual seeded design, but that only gave some tiny (5% relative) increase and now it's been optimised to double.  After the conference this summer I may be taking that apart and seeing exactly what it was about the manual design that made it so promising, perhaps with a view to integrating that sort of thing into the optimiser at a later stage.
Stephen Brooks
2007-06-08 10:32:26
Interesting also: this is the lattice that I used a "fixed random seed" on.  So the optimisation gradient should be more obvious to the program.
Stephen Brooks
2007-06-08 10:39:56
Right, in that case I'm going to switch determinism on in PhaseRotD, giving a new lattice "PhaseRotDD". Please would someone do a manual seed on DD of the best result in the samplefile from D?  Because basically it should start off from the same yield point, with a small change due to the random seed.
Stephen Brooks
2007-06-08 10:49:30
Actually, I think I might do it.  Noticed a few solenoids I wanted wider as well, should give a good starting point...
RGtx
2007-06-08 11:06:53
One point to bear in mind, is that with a fixed 'random' seed, the program will optimize in the direction where the mean yield of five runs is greater than that of the first run alone. 
RGtx
2007-06-08 11:21:44
Sorry, for "greater than..." read "lower than that of the first run alone".
Stephen Brooks
2007-06-08 11:39:29
The rule for re-checking is that anything that exceeds the current highest result with #runs=5 will also be re-checked.  So in the very highest results, it will always run the first five (also fixed) seeds.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25160048 accesses.