stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralHas anyone got a 3D monitor
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2008-03-07 15:37:46
If anyone has one of the new polarisation-3D monitors (e.g. here), I might be able to upgrade Muon1's 3D capability, which currently just does red/green or red/blue 3D, to use the alternating line type of stereo instead.

Not really important but would be good to get it working (I'm wondering about getting one of those 3D displays some day).
[TA]Assimilator1
2008-03-11 18:45:08
Are we talking real 3D here?  If so that would be awesome! 
Woah!  ,not cheap though!  (unsurprisingly).

(as a side note I stopped using eclipse computers about 7yrs ago after thier apalling service in both orders & returns.I hope they've got better if you're using them!)
Stephen Brooks
2008-03-12 10:38:16
I've been using them as they ARE very cheap.  Haven't had any problems so far - well, apart from one time when they shipped me a mouse as well as my main order by mistake and had to ask me to post it back!

The 3D on these is full-colour provided you're wearing polarised glasses.  It wasn't so long ago you had to spend £400 just to get an LCD monitor of that size...
[TA]Assimilator1
2008-03-12 20:52:00
When I stopped using eclipse I found that ebuyer were just as cheap & a better service (though not perfect), haven't compared them since but I know they are generally still one of the cheapest along with Aria, Microdirect & sometimes Dabs.

3D screen could be fun with pron ,heh seriously though it would be cool with games ,do they flicker much?
Stephen Brooks
2008-03-12 23:36:15
Not sure, I believe this technology works with alternate scan-lines, so you'd end up with half the vertical res, giving it a bit of that Star Wars hologram scan line effect But on the up-side, theoretically it ought not to slow down the games too much as there's the same number of pixels.  I think only the Nvidia camp of cards supports it right now unfortunately I've got an ATI X800XL here.  I bet there's already a thread on ATI's forum begging for support though.  I guess I'll just have to wait a bit.

I'd just finished some of the Half Life 2 games, was thinking a 3D Alyx would be quite cute, then thought a 3D spider-crab jumping out of the screen at me would be rather *less* cute...
[TA]Assimilator1
2008-03-18 23:56:04
lol ,just recently bought HL2 orange box myself, not played it ,though I have already played the 1st episode from aa previous CD, great game

Btw I can't handle flickering, I'm VERY sensitive to strobing/flickering (though I don't have fits it isn't pleasent if I see strobe lights etc!) ,I can see a CRT flickering at 75Hz (just), 60Hz makes me giddy on a CRT.
Stephen Brooks
2008-03-19 20:17:38
I grew up with a 50Hz CRT that had so much static you could see the sparks coming off the screen if you put your hand near it in the dark after switching off.  So I've been fairly desensitised to flicker!

But I think image steadiness should be the same as normal LCD screens, unless they use some weird frame-interleave, but I think as they do it by scanlines it should be OK.
[TA]Assimilator1
2008-04-26 10:53:33
50Hz?  jeez that would probably make me blackout for a few seconds anytime I looked at it!, & I'm being serious too.

Let us know if you get one of these 3D monitors.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162941 accesses.