stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralProject status?
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
GrafZahl
2015-05-20 20:00:44
Steven,
I just saw that 87 Million simulations have been performed for the project.
I'm not sure when we started calculating for muon, but I'm interested in knowing how the hughe amount of results is being used.
As to my knowledge there aren't any publications released, yet.  Are there any other (hidden) channels where the outcome of the muon project is published?
Since users have spent a hughe amount of computing resources I would like to see some results or at least some indication that it is of use to calculate all these work units.

Thanks for keeping the community updated!
Stephen Brooks
2015-05-21 05:27:34
It's got a bit out of sync with my active area of research within accelerator design.  Muon1 (the code) is still under active development and I'm using it in my work all the time.  However, I've not yet managed to find a design problem for the new accelerator (eRHIC) that is efficiently split off into a large optimisation like the ones you are doing for the neutrino factory.  Well, that's not quite true: there are some that I've done as optimisations just on my local computer, but I had to finish those quickly because there were times when eRHIC-related deadlines came in fast succession.

So, I'm not sure what to do.  I don't particularly want to shut things down totally for an indefinite period, or kick anyone off, since I might need this sort of capability again.  But feel free to keep this as a "side project" for a while, with most of your distributed computing power going elsewhere.

I've also got some new ideas on AI that I want to use this as a testbed for.  Hopefully I'll get a bit of spare time in my schedule soon (within the last 2 years I emigrated to the US, moved house a second time and am now applying for a green card so it's been busy).

The main publication of Muon1 results was in my thesis chapter 8, available here.
Coleslaw
2016-04-30 19:54:04
Any status change?
Rincewind
2017-02-22 12:18:35
Like Colesslaw asked before:
Are there any news?

Is this project still useful for something or is there just the posibility that there may be a use for the calculations?
Stephen Brooks
2017-04-21 02:45:45
I've just updated the site to say the project is currently dormant as I've not found another use for it in my current research.

I've actually used Muon1 (the code) and its optimiser a lot in my recent design work, but have never needed more than a single core so far!
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25104180 accesses.