stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsAutomagic reload
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
kruemi [Swissteam.NET]
2002-07-10 01:18:58
Hello Stephen

As theres not allways traffic on the browserwars-site.  Would it be possible, to let the Page reload itselfe after... lats say, a minute?
So i could just stay on the site and wait until a move is done and didn't had to reload the site manually the whole time!

bye

kruemi

--
Don't read this.  And neither this!
Stephen Brooks
2002-07-10 04:42:13
That might be possible using JavaScript.  I've seen timers being done in JavaScript before but I'm not sure quite how to make a page reload itself.  I might look into it, but meanwhile it could be quicker if anyone who already knows Javascript first could come up with a script for this.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Stephen Brooks
2002-07-10 05:12:28
I've now put the reload in place.  I couldn't find the JavaScript command to load a specific URL so I used history.go(0) instead.  This may have the side effect that occasionally your browser will play a move by itself in the same place as your last move in the last game (if that is legal).

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
kruemi [Swissteam.NET]
2002-07-10 06:04:21
Hm, how about placing a refresh with a timeout of 1 minute in the header?

would be the command...

bye

kruemi

--
kruemi [Swissteam.NET]
2002-07-10 06:21:38
aaargh... it coldn't be displayed...
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="60"> in the head-section...
this should reload the page every 60 secs!
ok, hope, this works .-)

bye

[This message was edited by kruemi [Swissteam.NET] on 2002-Jul-10 at 13:50.]

[This message was edited by kruemi [Swissteam.NET] on 2002-Jul-10 at 13:51.]
CaptainsHonor
2002-07-17 17:32:06
How about taking the automatic refresh thing one step further (if possible0 and making it happen after every move . . .
kruemi [Swissteam.NET]
2002-07-18 03:01:11
How do you mean "after every move?"
The Server can hardly signal to the Browser, when a move is done (ok, it's possible with some dirty tricks...)
You can let the Browser reload immediately.  Then, when the Page loads, then letzt the page-load thake as long as until the next move is done (but not more than about 30 seconst, or the connection will time out)...
No, i think that's not really a solution...

--
Stephen Brooks
2002-07-18 06:49:12
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainsHonor:
How about taking the automatic refresh thing one step further (if possible) and making it happen after every move . . .

This would certainly seem to be the sensible thing to do.  Unfortunately such things (where the server triggers the browser to do something rather than the other way around) are called 'server push technologies', and were only ever supported seriously in an early version of Netscape.  The problem with them, I think, is that if servers can dictate what applications on your computer do, this could be abused to cause general annoyance to people.

The only way I can think of doing this is to have a Java applet that runs until it receives a signal from the server (sent from a PHP script to all the IPs that have accessed the page in the last 30 minutes, perhaps) and then triggers a refresh.  However I don't know very much about getting these languages to send/receive packets like that (and don't know anything about Java).

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25324022 accesses.