Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Clou
2002-08-29 07:19:13
Hi! 

Great game!
Wouldn't it be a good to add statistics for:

- How many stones were set by the different browsers
- What was the game with the highest number of different browsers/highest number of participants from different IP-Adresses

Just a thought,
Clou

[This message was edited by Stephen Brooks on 2002-Sep-01 at 10:40.]
Stephen Brooks
2002-08-30 02:52:40
Nice ideas.  I've got a weekend coming up soon so as well as (probably) putting in multiple boards I'll see if I can generate some of these more interesting stats.

Trouble is with the IP addresses, some people might seriously object to others being able to see their IP because they could then DoS their web connection with ping!  Just showing totals or "record games" like you suggest should be OK though.
Stephen Brooks
2002-08-31 16:34:15
I need to do some total statistics for this new multi-board version: total number of games played, plus the added-up browser scoreboard.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
2002-08-31 16:39:58
hmm... saveing the game would be nice.  sometimes you loose and don't know why
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-01 03:39:19
One thing I could do is get the program to backup the final (winning) state of the board to a directory before it wipes it, and then if the program notices the game-number increases on a refresh, it can display a screen with a picture of this board so you can see what happened.
Thomas King
2002-09-02 01:24:55
About using the IP address thing to identify users, you could use it but just blank out the last octet, which is largley irrelevant because it seems to change far more often than the first octet.  Or perhaps you could do something with cookies to actually lug the user's name off the computer.
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-02 02:22:11
You mean people with dynamic IPs can cheat when their WAN lease refreshes and they get assigned to a.b.c.y instead of a.b.c.x?

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Thomas King
2002-09-02 06:56:02
Oh yeah, good point.  In that case, it would just be better to have a cookie that identified you as a player.  Hey, you could use the message board cookie!
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-02 07:21:23
ErErEr.  That may be possible.  I was just asking on the infurdlepop message boards about something called the "OneCommunity API" which does essentially that, so maybe you could log into the message boards and also then log into Browserwars.  Then I could give people individual accounts, stats for who they've played against etc. etc.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25161531 accesses.