stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsReload Button on main page
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
kio
2002-09-06 13:07:35
... does not work for me.

maybe you could append a dummy querry "...index.php?xyz" ?

... kio !
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-06 13:46:01
I've put a ?  after the URL now.  It works and refreshes properly without one in IE, but maybe that's different in different browsers.

I've also noticed this website is being slow today.  Infopop aren't the fastest around sometimes - all I can recommend is being patient - I've had some pages that have only displayed after 40 seconds loading, but they've displayed in the end.  Just set your montior to monochrome 320x200 and pretend it's the 1980s and you're about to upload your stunning new game called "Asteroids" over a blazing 2400 baud connection.  smile

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Pascal
2002-09-06 13:54:54
uahhh... 320x200

my footnails go anywhere.... mad

1: Athlon TB-C, 1.2 GC/s, 256 MB DDR-RAM, Erazor x², ADSL-Flatrate, NIC Intel, Win 98 SE Mainboard MSI-6380 Rev.  1
2: Pentium III, 600 MC/s, 256 MB RAM, NIC Intel, Win 98 SE
kio
2002-09-06 13:58:18
now works every first time ...
can you add some "real" querry data?  reload on the game boards itself works, even if the query data is still the same. 
i don't know whether it's a bug in iCab or whether it is allowed to assume that the page did not change in this case.

thanks! 

... kio !
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-06 15:24:54
PHP pages themselves may contain continuously-changing data like the current time, so it would be a bug if the browser did not refresh the page, especially with query data (although unless there's some other way to tell it's stayed the same, it should be refreshed even without this).

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
kio
2002-09-07 01:08:36
hi!
you may be right.  but:

nevertheless you actually send a html page.  just that the url ends on .php does not say anything.  it could be static html, just as a page ending on .html could be generated by php.

the query argument: 1) in fact, there is no argument.  iCab is just a little bit too smart for you and, AFAIR, a browser may even asume that repeated queries with the same argument will yield the same result.

but i don't know.  iCab is still under development.  i'll ask the programmers.  in 3 out of 2 cases they say: "we are with the standard". i'll tell you.

... kio !
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-07 10:29:53
On this board, the only PHP caching allowed is done by the board software itself, as this is the only reliable way of knowing whether the content has changed or not.  If a browser does any form of caching of dynamic pages, it's likely to get it wrong at some point.  I can of course stick a random query that changes all the time in the query string, but it's not a particularly elegant solution.

kio
2002-09-09 12:07:31
hi,

for iCab it would be enough to apend always the same real looking query.  reloading the game boards itself works. 
i agree, it's a pain in the *ss to add stupid extra code everywhere just to circumvent browser flaws...

... kio !
Stephen Brooks
2002-09-09 12:31:22
It now loads with some random query that does not affect the code.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162814 accesses.