stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Q&AThe "Background" vs "Command Line" versions?
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
John Kitchen
2002-10-08 16:49:12
This will teach me to read things more carefully!  I thought that the Background version (packaged up with the Graphical version), must be the same as the Command Line version.  Ha, not so!  MuonMonitor and MuonControl both seem to want the Command Line version, so they ARE different.  To get these to work I tried the Command Line version and it seems to create two processes (visible in Task Manager) and one Command prompt window.  Messy, it seems to me, compared to the unobtrusive Background version.

So now I am mightily confused (a common state these days!).

What ARE the differences between these versions and how does one choose which to use?

Would someone experienced please post a full explanation of the differences?
Speed?
Function?
Whatever?

Thanks!

John
Stephen Brooks
2002-10-08 17:24:27
The two are functionally identical.  The only difference is that the commandline version uses the MS-DOS emulation present in Windows to run.  As it happens, this makes it easier to write 'helper' applications, because DOS is text-based and those applications can intercept the text reports Muon1 produces.

In short, muon1.exe has graphical output, muon1_background.exe has no output and muon1_cmdline.exe has text output.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
isowia
2002-10-08 17:41:42
John, I'm curious about how many processes you say are getting started.  muon1_cmdline.exe should create just one dos window/process.  With MuonControl, if you run it by clicking on the .jar file, you should just get the process for it and a process for muon1_cmdline and no command prompt.  you can also create a shortcut using "javaw -jar MuonControl.jar" to start it without a command prompt starting up and should function the same as clicking on the .jar file.

Richard Fortson
John Kitchen
2002-10-09 08:34:43
red face Every time they develop idiot-proof software, they invent a better idiot.  That's me.  red face

It was not obvious to me that your software actually starts the client, so I had the client running, THEN started Muon Control.  Hence the two instances.

Maybe the documntation could clarify this.

All is running fine now, your comments gave me the clue.

Best regards

John
isowia
2002-10-09 13:10:00
John, Thanks for the input.  I've updated my announcement in the General forum and will shortly update the website and documentation.  In the next version of the program I will try to put in at least crude checks to see if Muon1 is already running.

Richard Fortson
RPF Software
Giampy
2002-12-15 17:34:16
> In short, muon1.exe has graphical output, muon1_background.exe has no output > and muon1_cmdline.exe has text output.

ok so, just to make sure i got it right, the three programs are independent right ?

this means that if i run the background version AND muon1.exe at the same time,
they perform two INDEPENDENT simulations which will take, together, twice the time.

in short muon1 does NOT rely on the background version to perform its calculation
am i right ?

thanks
giampy
AySz88
2002-12-16 16:19:42
They run independently, but DON'T start two programs (ie.  muon1.exe AND muon1_background.exe) in the same folder.  You might get a mess.
Stephen Brooks
2002-12-16 17:59:12
Actually these program use auto-save files with slightly different names, so the conflict of running them in the same directory is not as awful as it might appear.  The only "crunch" might come with conflicting access to writing to the results.txt file, but that will be fairly rare.

I don't know why you'd want to run more than one at once.

But yes, the programs are basically different versions of the same thing, and do not require each other to run.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162161 accesses.