stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Bug Reportsno full load on dual cpu machine
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
[DPC]Scorpion
2002-10-24 05:28:57
When i set my threads to 2 i see that muon is only gettin 90-92 percent CPU-time

if i load two instances of muon it get's the fullpull (100%)

DPC

to da top cool

[DPC]Scorpion
2002-10-24 05:35:47
Seems to be that it is fluctioning between 90-100% with 2 threads

hmmmz maybe you could tweak it a little bit in your next update

ty in advance

Stephen Brooks
2002-10-24 09:49:34
You can run either the threads=2 option or run two installations of Muon1 in different directories.  Just don't run two installs in one dir or the files might get corrupted.

The reason why threads=2 only uses 90%-95% of the CPU is that it's not actually simulating two Muon1's in parallel - it's parallelised on an inner loop, so you really do get one simulation about 1.9x as fast as with one processor.  This is helpful because it allows it to build up a results.dat file quickly and build on previous results, instead of two parallel installs that have nothing to do with each other (unless you manually merge the results.dat files from time to time).

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
John Kitchen
2002-10-25 08:41:30
As your yield increases, the CPU utilization will too.  I am now seeing around 96% to 98% (on my dual Athlon with THREADS=2) since using the "best250" file big grin. (But I run another instance from another folder at a lower priority just to soak up the last 2 to 4% wink )
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25160034 accesses.