stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralA roll-call for Muon utilities/addons
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
[ARS]odessit
2002-10-26 09:22:00
I am doing some additions on TAM's website and looking for any Muon utilities.
For people who are making (hosting) these utilities, please post in this thread and tell me following things.

Name of Utility.
What it does.
How to use it (and language if not in English).
Link to your website where it can be downloaded.
Indicate whether you want me to mirror it.
What stage the application is is?  (Alpha, Beta, Final)
Finally, the name of the developer (how you want it to appear)

Thanks everybody!

ARS Team Atomic Milkshake
Unofficial Muon1 FAQ
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-26 10:23:13
See the topic elsewhere in this forum;

Appname: Client Hider
Does: Hide the client's window; there will be no display output at all; ideal for running the client transparent

url (could change, so please mirror): http://62.195.224.44/stuff/muonhider.zip

Author: [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
see the included .txt file for usage instructions

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff
[ARS]odessit
2002-10-26 11:16:10
Floppus, this thread is created because I saw your utility wink but I was also looking for official permission and this info as well.
Also on a side note... [ARS]TinyHelp recompiled Linux client for AthlonXP CPU and reports that it is 25% faster then the "semi-official" Linux client, which is already 30% faster than Windows version eek

ARS Team Atomic Milkshake
Unofficial Muon1 FAQ
[Ars]kenlow
2002-10-26 11:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by Floppus:
See the topic elsewhere in this forum;

Appname: Client Hider
Does: Hide the client's window; there will be no display output at all; ideal for running the client transparent

url (could change, so please mirror): http://62.195.224.44/stuff/muonhider.zip

Author: [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
see the included .txt file for usage instructions

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff


Floppus...what is the difference btw your app and muon1_background?  confused
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-26 12:13:10
Beats me...

Let me see; I installed the Client 3 days ago, couldn't find a utility then that would hide it, so wrote my own 2 days ago...

Now I thought it would be nice to be able to use the client transparent in a network, where only one computer has internet access, so I wrote my own Share-Based-Proxy...

Don't you love creative people wink...
Only reason was that I couldn't find anything that did what I wanted, so I made it... If other people like to use it too?  fine...

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff
[Ars]kenlow
2002-10-27 03:44:46
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus:

Don't you love creative people wink...
Only reason was that I couldn't find anything that did what I wanted, so I made it... If other people like to use it too?  fine...

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff


I love creative people smile

For a while, I thought that your client could be installed as a service smile You got my hopes up...

Maybe you can create a client that will install as a service in win98/me...I will really love you then big grin
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-27 04:11:37
Try adding a registry key under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

In Windows '95 / '98 / Me?  If that works, I could add an installer that adds it automatically...

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff
[Ars]kenlow
2002-10-27 06:53:08
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus:
Try adding a registry key under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

In Windows '95 / '98 / Me?  If that works, I could add an installer that adds it automatically...

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff


Tried that...but everytime windows startup, it says that it cannot find the user.txt file.  That file was created and if I start the client manually, it starts with no problem.

Do you know if Windows create a different directory for running services?
DrHanser
2002-10-27 10:57:46
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus:
Beats me...

Let me see; I installed the Client 3 days ago, couldn't find a utility then that would hide it, so wrote my own 2 days ago...

Now I thought it would be nice to be able to use the client transparent in a network, where only one computer has internet access, so I wrote my own Share-Based-Proxy...

Don't you love creative people wink...
Only reason was that I couldn't find anything that did what I wanted, so I made it... If other people like to use it too?  fine...

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff


You need to download the standard Windows client, not the commandline version.  Then run muon1_background.exe.  Quite simple.
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-27 11:28:15
quote:
Originally posted by DrHanser:

You need to download the standard Windows client, not the commandline version.  Then run muon1_background.exe.  Quite simple.


Ehrmmm... I don't mean to be rude... But have you read the entire topic before saying something that has nothing to do with it?


[ARS]Kenlow -> Windows does not create altetnate directory's for running services, however, when starting it from "services" it does not recognize a default "run directory". When using DOS ('95 / '98) you can put extra dirs in your "PATH=" (in Autoexec.bat)
programs mentioned in these directories can be run from anywhere in the command prompt; you could try adding your muon directry and see if the problem persists.

If it does, you could also try putting your entire muon client in your windows or windows\system directory, and add the registry key to point there...

I don't have or run '95 or '98, so unfortunately I haven't been able to test anything...

Suc7


[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff
[Ars]kenlow
2002-10-27 12:08:37
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus:
[ARS]Kenlow -> Windows does not create altetnate directory's for running services, however, when starting it from "services" it does not recognize a default "run directory". When using DOS ('95 / '98) you can put extra dirs in your "PATH=" (in Autoexec.bat)
programs mentioned in these directories can be run from anywhere in the command prompt; you could try adding your muon directry and see if the problem persists.

If it does, you could also try putting your entire muon client in your windows or windows\system directory, and add the registry key to point there...

I don't have or run '95 or '98, so unfortunately I haven't been able to test anything...

Suc7


[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff


Thanx Floppus...I will try that out and give you a feedback smile

I also tried your Proxy and so far it works great smile I use it to harvest my farm for results and then shut it down.  Takes about 30 secs to harvest my 8 nodes.

Can't wait for the next release big grin

Thanx for the great work smile
DrHanser
2002-10-27 13:22:17
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus:
quote:
Originally posted by DrHanser:

You need to download the standard Windows client, not the commandline version.  Then run muon1_background.exe.  Quite simple.


Ehrmmm... I don't mean to be rude... But have you read the entire topic before saying something that has nothing to do with it?


I fail to see how my response to the quoted portion is not on topic.  Allow me to quote the portion to which I was specifically referring to for your edification, since you seem to have missed it:

quote:
Let me see; I installed the Client 3 days ago, couldn't find a utility then that would hide it, so wrote my own 2 days ago...


The mark of an educated man is one who knows a lot about something, and a little about everything.
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-27 23:06:37
Ok... I can understand your interpretation of my text.

That was, however, not how I ment it.  In DC projects I tend to use command-line versions.  There was no way to hide that, so I made something that did...

ps; my vision of an educated man is someone that knows al lot about a lot of different things wink

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff
DrHanser
2002-10-28 05:35:00
quote:
Originally posted by [DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus:
Ok... I can understand your interpretation of my text.

That was, however, not how I ment it.  In DC projects I tend to use command-line versions.  There was no way to hide that, so I made something that did...


Yes, usually the commandline clients are faster than their graphical counterparts.  However, in this case, I meant to point out that there was no reason for you to hide the client, as there is already a background client created.  Why have two steps when you could just have one?  It's rather redundant, don't you think?

quote:
ps; my vision of an educated man is someone that knows al lot about a lot of different things wink


I really wish I knew who said "The mark of an educated man is one who knows a lot about something and a little about everything." As far as I can tell, it is ascribed to no one, though I certainly didn't come up with it.

However, what that means when it refers to "a lot about something" is to really know something inside and out.  For example, the captain of a ship knows more about such things than an amateur ever could, much like a medical doctor knows more about the human body than someone who studies such things for pleasure.  (In most cases)

Your goal is a lofty one, albeit unattainable, for to know a lot about "a lot of things" would require more expertise than one person could possibly attain and retain in a lifetime.  (Incidentally, it was my sig, I didn't mean it as a reply to that quote of yours.)


wink

The mark of an educated man is one who knows a lot about something, and a little about everything.
mad-ness
2002-10-28 23:17:23
The background client has NO output.

So, anyone wanting to monitor the client would need to use the CLI version (it has text output) and thus would need to hide it.

Ars Technica
Team Atomic Milkshake
http://www.teamatomicmilkshake.com/index.php
DrHanser
2002-10-29 06:24:31
There is the results.txt and auto.sav.  Granted the auto.sav looks like a bunch of gibberish, but there *is* meaningful info there, because the muon client certainly parses it.  The source is readily available, so one could go through it and figure out what exactly is going on, no?

--
The mark of an educated man is one who knows a lot about something, and a little about everything.
[SG] DOA
2002-10-29 10:40:38
FLOPPUS

Tried your MuonProxy tool - nice...
Just one prob: It's producing dupes, so I downed it.  Can you verify this?

Thx, Gerald
[Ars]kenlow
2002-10-29 19:12:04
quote:
Originally posted by [SG] DOA:
FLOPPUS

Tried your MuonProxy tool - nice...
Just one prob: It's producing dupes, so I downed it.  Can you verify this?

Thx, Gerald


I can verify this.  For a while, I was happy that my file was growing at quite a fast rate.  Until I checked and found a lot of dupes frown

Anyone have a dupe checker that will delete dupes?
[DPC] TeamBVD - Floppus
2002-10-30 22:58:30
Phew; couldn't reach this forum for the past few days, glad it's up and running again...

anywayz; To prevent de proxy from creating duplicates, prevent it from trying to flush automatically too often (ie set flushtime to W(eekly)) and flush it manually for now...

I have heard this problem before, and am working on it... I think though I'm getting it ready this weekend as I hoped, but I expect to be able to release it in the middle of next week.  (the client supporter and the proxy)

The stats and monitoring utility will take a bit longer, but you can view the results in the logs until then...

[DPC] TeamBVD
Floppus
http://62.195.224.44/stuff
Bananeweizen
2002-11-01 01:40:43
Hi !

I'm the author of "Muon Monitor" a windows monitoring (for the CLI version) and result file editing tool.  You can download the 0.3.3 (very beta !!!) version at www.rechenkraft.net/download/muonmonitor/muonmonitor.zip

Don't mirror it, I have enough bandwith and the auto update will only look at that url.

Currently there is no website about this tool.  It has the following features:

without any client found:
* result file duplicate removal
* result file sorting
* result file merge
* result file export to CSV file

with any windows client found:
* client configuration
* result file viewing
* result file charting
* result viewer invocation
* manual send invocation

with the CLI version found:
* full progress and status monitoring
* runtime estimation

Well, I will put up a website for the application in some days (probably on sunday or monday).  Maybe you want to wait with your summary of this tool until then?

Ciao, Michael.

www.Rechenkraft.net - the most comprehensive german website about internet based distributed computing projects.
[Ars]kenlow
2002-11-01 10:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by Bananeweizen:
Hi !

I'm the author of "Muon Monitor" a windows monitoring (for the CLI version) and result file editing tool.  You can download the 0.3.3 (very beta !!!) version at http://www.rechenkraft.net/download/muonmonitor/muonmonitor.zip




Great utility smile

Been using it and find that it is very easy to use.  Btw your utility and Floppus proxy, my harvesting of results is now troublefree and more importantly...dupefree big grin

Thanx for writing and sharing it.

Ken
Goner
2002-11-01 15:34:05
hi,

the RechenKraft guys have a PHP script on their site that creates a picture with your stats to use in message-board posts or on homepages ... it also displays team-stats, but only for Rechenkraft and SwissTeam (by using an additional &team=... parameter).



Goner
Ben Whitten
2002-11-02 15:37:08
I noticed an error in the monetor thing, I couldn't find you bit to post errors and I couldn't find your E-mail, I found this when I came back to my computer after going out for the day.



Not sure when it happend, but thought I'd betta say big grin
Bananeweizen
2002-11-04 14:50:55
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Whitten:
I noticed an error in the monetor thing, I couldn't find you bit to post errors and I couldn't find your E-mail, I found this when I came back to my computer after going out for the day.



Thanks for your report.  The next version will feature an integrated mail link.
About the progress/cpu usage error: I'm investigating this and hope to have it fixed around the next weekend (little spare time).

Ciao, Michael.

www.Rechenkraft.net - the most comprehensive german website about internet based distributed computing projects.
Virgiel - Loesje
2002-11-05 06:17:09
Hi,

i made an utility that makes it possible to start the muon1_background as a service for win XP/2k.

Actualy my utility is a service that does nothing except starting up muon1_background and than it closes itself.

To use it copy the executable to the directory of the muon-client and install the service with: muon_service /install [/silent]. To uninstall use /uninstall.

I used it to deploy the client on a network woth win2k clients and that works good.  I would like hear from others if they experience problems with the program so i can fix them.

(btw: error-messages are in dutch)
ZeRo_DiViDe[DPC]
2002-11-05 14:19:08
Name of Utility.  *NoName yet*
What it does. 
It helps using muon1 at more than 1 machine, for instance sending from 1 pc instead of going to all the pc's and send them there.  Stats stuff build in.  (small graphs) see which computer calculates the most and or best muons.  If anyone has more ideas of what could be usefull I'm open for suggestions.

How to use it (and language if not in English).
Link to your website where it can be downloaded.  prolly will be on my prohosting account

Indicate whether you want me to mirror it.  Don't know yet

What stage the application is is?
It's being developed, dayabases is mostly set, maybe a week or 2 till first release.  (if school allows it)

Finally, the name of the developer: My name is Eddie Gorgels aka ZeRo_DiViDe

If you want you can send me an email @ e.gorgels@kabelfoon.nl
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io

Site has had 17959138 accesses.