stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsPlay fair!
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Nemo1024
2002-11-09 14:18:00
Now, did anyone notice the 8 boards initialized with Opera.  I wondered at that ... how the guy did it.  It seems that he played agains himself using Mozilla as another bowser... Erratic moves form Mozilla and Opera staying neatly in single rows....

I use Opera myself, I play for Opera and I deem that Opera is ill-served with players who do such things!!!  mad

Play Fair!!!

--
Nemo1024
Book'em Dano
2002-11-09 14:45:32
Your wrong on a couple parts Nemo.  First you say:

"Now, did anyone notice the 8 boards initialized with Opera.  I wondered at that ... how the guy did it.  It seems that he played agains himself using Mozilla as another bowser..."

It wasn't just one person.  The weren't initialized all at once, but one at a time with a cable modem after I won the previous games with Opera 6.05.

Then you say:

"Erratic moves form Mozilla and Opera staying neatly in single rows...."

You're right there.  Whoever it was played erratically and I took advantage of it.  They did not however start any new games after the games were won.  The boards had been up from ~10 minutes to over an hour when I started to play.  All the other payers seemed to have abandoned the games.

Then you say:

"I use Opera myself, I play for Opera and I deem that Opera is ill-served with players who do such things!!!  "

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.  I've been using Opera since 3.60 on a WFW 3.11 system.  I also use Mozilla since I have a strong dislike for IE but I keep it on my system for sites that require it. 

Play Fair!!!

You're motto, not mine.  I say adapt, improvise and overcome.
eszett
2002-11-09 17:00:48
i use opera as well, and although a few of these "kamikaze" users are nothing to worry about for me, it get boring when they become excessive.  i like winning, but i like a good challenge even better.  even though i have *cough* formed some *cough* opinions on the political sides of some browser, i still think anybody who plays the game should play a good fight representing and defending their browser of choice.
Nemo1024
2002-11-11 03:46:51
Sorry, Book'em, I did not mean hurting anybody's feelings, but those boards looked rather fishy... I did niether mean "at once" as in "during the same second", but rather knowing that ususally the one who wins the games initializes a new one, I got curiouse as to how Opera got 8 wins (ok, almost smile) at once...

I must admit that I would also take such an opportunity if it would come along.  What I suspeced however was that someone played against oneself...

By the way, what about an option of prohibiting two different browsers originating from the some IP to play on the same board?

Nemo.
Tom King
2002-11-11 03:53:25
There already is a setting preventing one IP using two different browsers in place.
It should be, and, I believe, is, impossible for one person to play against himself.
Nemo1024
2002-11-18 02:17:33
Here it goes again.... Netscape and mozilla this time!  Netscape placing pieces in the corners, giving Mozilla a clear row at the bottom!  Grrrr.
Cryogenic
2002-11-18 02:21:50
I am the person with mozilla and I am not using both browsers.  Its not my fault the guy with netscape can't play.  big grin
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-18 08:50:31
Maybe the guy using Netscape doesn't really like Netscape roll eyes

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
anomie
2002-11-20 14:55:41
> It should be, and, I believe, is, impossible for one person to play against
> himself.

Unless they have two IP addresses.  For example, some kid in a college computer lab somewhere.
eszett
2002-11-20 16:17:32
bing.  create a registration system.  that way you won't be able to change browsers mid-way through a game.

[color=green]fear me, i'm on a mosaic streak[/color]
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-20 16:57:08
I've considered doing that, but I'll keep the free-for-all unregistered game too, if I ever put a registered version in.  And don't call me "Bing".

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Tom King
2002-11-21 00:24:24
quote:
Originally posted by anomie:
> It should be, and, I believe, is, impossible for one person to play against
> himself.

Unless they have two IP addresses.  For example, some kid in a college computer lab somewhere.

Heh, pretty MANGE lab if it lets him log onto two machines at once... I tried that with the unix and NT systems here and they had a fit.
Michael The Guest
2002-11-23 13:20:51
Dundee University lab lets people log into multiple computers.  One person got some harsh sanctions imposed on him for locking more than half the computers and forcing people to wait until the admins arrived in the morning.

I've not tried logging into multiple computers, changing my settings to different things on each and then logging out in a random order.  I doubt the results would be pretty, but how pretty can things get on an XP network?
Herb[Romulus2]
2002-11-24 00:55:21
FYI,
we have an absolute legal system running at work for over 150 Solaris workstations, where you can start on Solaris Netscape with your local IP, open an NT1 server emulation and start IE6 with IP from NT1 and open NT2 server emulation and start Opera with IP from NT2 eek

But I'm pretty sure, no one of them is cheating around here big grin

-------------------------------
I'd say more, but I can't reach the keyboard from the floor.
huraxprax
2002-11-30 05:10:05
I had just recently one of these cheaters.  I made a winning move with Konqi, this Mozilla guy who lost waited until the lock was out, then made one move with Lynx (via a proxy I guess) and then with his original IP.  Some people just can't admit that they are losers.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25165925 accesses.