stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsIE vs. Opera
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Nemo1024
2002-11-12 01:30:52
Well, I made a simple calculation and think it is too early to declare a victory for Opera (yet).  If one sums up all IE versions, one would get (for the moment) 4011 wins, which is ahead of Opera's 3729. So we, Opera users, must work harder wink

By the way, why not merge all those IE versions into one, after all you do not differenciate Netscape 4.78 and Netscape 6....

Nemo.
Kwil
2002-11-13 11:40:03
Did a not so simple calculation and figured out that Opera has won approximately 63% of the games that it has played in.

This figure could be off some because I don't know if the total number of games won on the rawstats page is from before we started keeping track of per-game scores.

Still, it's nice to know that any time Opera plays, the other players will probably lose. 
Kwil
2002-11-13 13:25:04
Whoops!  I see Stephen's been busy again.  44%?  Wow.. I didn't think that the rawstats would be that much different from the total.  Serves me right for using those I guess.
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-13 13:34:48
AHA - the raw scores started counting _before_ I added the advanced itemised stats.  So you'll get a total that's larger than it should be if you use those.  I tried that approach first and some people got 485% etc. so I now add up all the separate scores.

quote:
Whoops!  I see Stephen's been busy again.

Well, your calculation reminded me.  I'd been meaning to do this for ages.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
gilbert
2002-11-13 16:51:34
Now that you've added winning percentages, you might also want to fix a little bug I found:
a user can place a token for a browser other than the one that the user is using by changing the address of the link.  For example, as an opera user, I can change

http://www.stephenbrooks.org/browserwars/index.php?bno=1&game=2454&column=4&row=7&browser=Opera

to

http://www.stephenbrooks.org/browserwars/index.php?bno=1&game=2454&column=4&row=7&browser=GoogleBot

to place a token for GoogleBot.  If I do not win with GoogleBot, I lower GoogleBot's winning percentage.

It seems like a relatively simple solution is to have your PHP script detect the browser when you place a token.
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-14 02:44:45
OK I think I've now fixed that and it detects the browser when playing to the page instead of when it plots those blue arrows.  To be honest I have no idea why I passed that data through the query string in the first place, other than that I was passing about 4 other parameters through it at the time...

Actually it may have more to do with the fact that BrowserWars was my 2nd ever program done in PHP (the hit-counter on some pages is the first) and I was just getting the hang of how to make query strings produce variables in the script and then manufacture URLs to do things, so I probably got a bit over-enthusiastic and put EVERYTHING in the query.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Kwil
2002-11-15 13:30:30
Intersting..

Browswer Wars was never before fooled by Opera's "Masquerade as" feature, but now it is.  Not sure why the change though.  Still, it just prompted me to unmask.
gilbert
2002-11-15 18:12:19
quote:
Originally posted by Kwil:
Intersting..

Browswer Wars was never before fooled by Opera's "Masquerade as" feature, but now it is.  Not sure why the change though.  Still, it just prompted me to unmask.

It seems to only be fooled when you identify as IE, not if you identify as Mozilla.
eszett
2002-11-17 18:38:09
the opera 7 beta i'm using does the same... but it seem to "be" msie 5.5, but it says it will identify itself as msie 6. oh wait... it's a beta.  silly me razz
gilbert
2002-11-18 17:16:01
quote:
Originally posted by Æ:
the opera 7 beta i'm using does the same... but it seem to "be" msie 5.5, but it says it will identify itself as msie 6. oh wait... it's a beta.  silly me razz

O7b identifies as both IE 5.5 and 6.0, actually.  This is intentional, not a bug.  I usually set Opera to identify as Mozilla anyway.

Here is the O7 id string:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; MSIE 5.5; Windows ME) Opera 7.0 [en]
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-19 14:58:30
I'm gonna seperate out Opera 6 from Opera 7 and Opera 5 now... wink

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25161946 accesses.