stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsDealing with heavy traffic
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
gilbert
2002-11-19 18:18:28
Maybe it would be good to implement a few more restrictions due to the heavy traffic.  I find it's often hard to place a piece because by the time I can click, somebody has already made a move, so I must reload the page.

Some suggestions:

• A user must wait a certain amount of time after placing a token before placing another.
  • A user must wait for a certain number of other players to place a token on a board (unless nobody places a piece for a certain amount of time)
  • Require users to register to play.  Hopefully this would discourage cheating.

Stephen Brooks
2002-11-19 18:31:48
I think the current madness is a temporary thing due to being mentioned on [H]ard|OCP's front page and Slashdot's slashback thing in one day...

Registering was something I've thought about, although I'd probably have a separate load of boards for registered players.  I don't really see much point in putting in a delay.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
Tom King
2002-11-20 00:23:11
Just as a matter of interest, what IS your average outgoing traffic?
eszett
2002-11-20 15:14:04
maybe there can be a few people to moderate the registered boards in case there is havoc.

i had the idea of a 32x32 image in the lower left hand corner of a player's tokens for a personal flair and the ability to click these icons and pop up a stats window.  there could even be a list of users, and a list of standings as well.

[color=green]fear me, i'm on a mosaic streak[/color]
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-20 16:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas King:
Just as a matter of interest, what IS your average outgoing traffic?

15GB last month.  It went up to about 5GB per day at the peak of the SlashDot invasion.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162990 accesses.