stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsOpera 7 seperate?
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Kevin W
2002-11-22 00:26:32
Why do Opera 7 users get kicked out of the old Opera tribe?  We are unified, unlike Microsoft Internet Explorer users.  Opera 7 users don't hate Opera 6 users, although IE 6 users hate IE 5 users.

Or maybe it's because Opera Software came up with a nice 3D "7"?  Hmm... it doesn't even fit with the red O. I demand for Opera to be put back in one group!
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-22 05:07:56
When browsers become "major" contenders I will split them into their major versions.  Mozilla 2.0 will have its own team when it arrives.  This keeps it interesting.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
phil
2002-11-22 12:34:59
quote:
When browsers become "major" contenders I will split them into their major versions. 

Then why isn't there a distinction between Netscape 4.x and Netscape 6/7?
gilbert
2002-11-22 13:42:36
I am an Opera 6 user, and I certainly want O7 to win a game more than any other browser (except O6).  As a result, I may throw games to O7. This is one problem with splitting browsers by version.
gilbert
2002-11-22 15:12:13
What is O5 identified as?  O6 or unknown?
eszett
2002-11-22 17:38:07
it don't matter to me, besides, we all need some civil war razz

i actually like opera 7 in its own group because we're in a smaller group and it's easier to actually get a piece on the board.  so look on the bright side, in exchange for a few wins from all of opera's wins, you get a game with less anarchy.  of course, some randomness is always nice to a game for the challenge.  i better stop now or i'll start to sound like a dictator.  smile

[color=green]fear me, i'm on a mosaic streak[/color]. (sorry stephen or whever edited my sig, it's supposed to be like that, inside joke about mosaic big grin )
Stephen Brooks
2002-11-23 07:08:37
quote:
Originally posted by phil:
Then why isn't there a distinction between Netscape 4.x and Netscape 6/7

Well "major contenders" as defined by BrowserWars score.  Netscape is currently behind the "big three" by a factor of 3x in score, so it would just be plain unfair to split it up.  Besides, Netscape 4.x is not a browser, it's a joke.

quote:
What is O5 identified as?  O6 or unknown? 

Used to be O6, now it's unknown.  There is a problem with "backdating" versions.  I can only 'fairly' create a new team for new browsers as they come out, because of course I have no way to tell which of the wins for the 'generic' version that existed before were from which version.  I estimated that MSIE would dominate from the start, so I split it, but underestimated the Opera and Mozilla forces.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25166556 accesses.