stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser Warsdarn you stephen!
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
ß
2003-02-07 19:08:34
you got the best of me with the rubber thing on the board.  you know you have to consult the iupac to change the name of an element Wink
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-07 19:34:35
Rubber is not an element, it is a polymer, and a very malleable one at that.  Wink

I devour wolves like tin
> you don't get the symbolism
Wolves devour tins symbolically.
> uh, no
> it's another rubber thing
> rubber?  why the hell did i say rubber? 
> i meant rubber
> gaah!  the thing is changing 7ungsten to rubber! 
> hold on a minute
> try posting 7ungsten, but make the 7 a t

Vulcanised, you know.  Cool

Err you know, if they made an extra-large black briefcase that also doubled as a 1-passenger car, some fool would complain it was too large to open at their desk
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-07 19:40:10
I keep wondering if you've seen this page.

Err you know, if they made an extra-large black briefcase that also doubled as a 1-passenger car, some fool would complain it was too large to open at their desk
Tom King
2003-02-08 12:46:45
HAHAHAH that's funny.

Tungsten.
eeeh
2003-02-08 16:21:56
Stephen: I would recommend that you make your filter skip over html tags, as it can be defeated by placing a comment tag in the middle of tungsten or eszett.
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-09 18:04:33
Well I've actually just deactivated HTML (apart from smilies), because it could mess other things up if HTML was allowed.

Stephen Brooks
2003-02-12 01:06:15
However someone's managed to get the thing to create completely blank lines with no browser identification or anything in the chat boxes.  No real idea what's going on there, except it might be something to do with them posting a hugely-long string and it overwhelming the script.

(null)
kpu
2003-02-12 14:09:57
It's not a buffer overflow.  Copy multi-line text into the chat box.  Send it.  Send a blank message.
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-13 14:12:02
Well I have to say PHP arrays are being a little bizarre.  As well as being associative there is also a natural order to the entries, which I thought was looked at by "foreach". But some of the replacements are being done in an odd order (i.e. different to how I specified it in the array() statement).  Not a major glitch though.  Well maybe it is.  I'll look at it when I've stopped panicking about my degree work.

(null)
guest heh
2003-02-16 13:56:33
The blank line thing is my fault Big Grin. If you want to fix it, you could just filter out newlines (\n).  ?
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-16 17:13:51
Ah, I've just found out what was wrong.  With all this mucking around with the filter to remove tungsten, I accidentally deleted the bit I used to have which got rid of the newline character.  Smile

(null)
no
2003-02-17 09:54:27
You should also put a limit on the size of messages
Stephen Brooks
2003-02-17 11:52:19
Why?  Surely it's up to you if you want to send a very large message and leave everyone else with an odd-looking board?  Smile

I've added a feature to limit the length of posts displayed somewhat.

Today's weather in %region is Sunny/(null), max.  temperature -99999°C

[This message was edited by Stephen Brooks on 2003-Feb-18 at 17:11.]
Tom King
2003-02-23 05:15:50
ARGH!  This thing isn't in my signature!

Chorus:

Quorn fudder quarnk quarnk
Quorn fudder quarnk quarnk
kpu
2003-03-03 16:16:56
/me notices that boards read **tungsten** when put in order a few days ago. 
/me notices that posts now must have a minimum of 4 characters to show up in the list of chat messages on the front page. 
/me notices that posting tung on board 1 and sten on board 2 works fine and it shows up on the list on the front page.
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-04 02:32:42
Oddly I've been fiddling with that for a while before he did that.  I originally had a lower limit of 10 characters before a post showed up in that green text.  Then I took that limit away (so 'hi', 'bye' etc. showed up) and introduced an upper limit.  Last night I decided to introduce a 4 char lower limit just to annoy that Tungsten guy, but still haven't decided whether it's a good idea in the long run or not.

OK, I've taken the lower limit out again now, it was a silly idea.

ß
2003-03-05 17:20:41
i don't like the rearranging the posts thing on the main page.  it's too easily undermined and it just makes things more confusing.  perhaps just rearranging them whenever they spell out tungsten or something would be better.
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-06 03:32:57
Too easily undermined...?  Well I haven't seen any large signs saying "**tungsten**" of late.  The green text was intended to show up "interesting" remarks and shortcut you to the board they came from - they need not be in order for that purpose.

ß
2003-03-06 15:24:41
meh, so it wasn't a plot.  Frown Wink

however, i'd expect the green text to follow the order of the boards but i'll get used to it.
kpu
2003-03-06 19:00:03
Now every board has "t u n g s t e n" on it.  Oh, and it appears some have figured out how to post blank lines so "t u n g s t e n" can be posted on one board and blank lines are on others.  There's no way to stop it and I admit I posted the first "t u n g s t e n" tonight before some NS user posted on the rest.  It is fun to watch though.
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-06 20:50:16
It is quite funny.  I never disallowed blank posts as it happens, but people only took it into their head to post them in order to get things to show up better in that green text.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25168538 accesses.