stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralDifficulty sending results by dial-up
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
vaughan
2003-03-22 03:35:39
By dial-up I cannot send in results using either the old manual send or the new multi manual send.  By cable connection - no problem.  Why?
2 computers one is W95b the other is W2kPro SP3.

Crunching for
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-22 07:21:20
It's possible your dialup ISP blocks FTP transfers because FTP is sometimes used in primitive hacking attempts (port-scanning).  If this is the case, I can't really do much about it.  However it would be helpful if you could say how exactly the send fails - can you get the FTP window up to see what's happening - i.e., is it a timeout or is the connection refused?

Today's weather in %region is Sunny/(null), max.  temperature -99999°C
vaughan
2003-03-23 14:45:17
Hi Stephen,
I get the message:
ICMP network unreachable for 9 out of the 10 attempts.  Then I get currently offline will try again later.
Vaughan

Crunching for
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-23 15:25:10
Well suffice it to say I've never seen that message appear in an FTP window before.  Can you access other sites via FTP using dialup?

vaughan
2003-03-24 18:54:46
No.  I tried to d/l Dnetc using ftp and I get:
An FTP connection could not be established.
Looks as if I'll have to do some tweaking.  Thanks.

Crunching for
vaughan
2003-03-26 00:51:21
Using manualsend.exe deletes the results.txt file and causes no work to be sent and it seems to be lost also.  I have altered my desktop shortcut to use the file manualsend_daemon.exe hoping this will sort out the problem.
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-26 04:40:51
The manualsend program ought to rename the results file to something else (with a load of numbers in it) and then I programmed it to only delete that temporary file if it can make contact with the FTP server.  Otherwise your results might still be there but in a different file.

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162973 accesses.