stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser Warswe've been deserted! argh!
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
ß
2003-03-24 13:15:04
it takes ages to find someone to play.  it's been days since someone won on a few of the boards.  we need some promotion program to get more people to link here.  we could then tally the referrals from each user and count them up at some time, and whoever has the most referrals gets, say, 10-20 free wins for the team of choice, and is free to split it between two or more browsers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First to be slashdotted, first to be forgotten.
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-24 16:32:57
I think people have stopped coming basically because nothing has changed much recently.  If I added a Reversi/Othello version of the game maybe some people would get more interested again.

Today's weather in %region is Sunny/(null), max.  temperature -99999°C
Book'em Dano
2003-03-24 19:44:17
A game of Othello would be nice, but I believe the game is biased.  Its been awhile since I've played, but I believe depending on who plays first, with all other things being equal, one player will always win (i.e., either the 1st or 2nd).
ß
2003-03-24 19:56:10
of course, if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up losing anyhow.  considering the imbalance of good and mank connect four players we have here, i would assume such imbalance exists somewhere in our playing skill of othello, and so any such tendency would make less of a difference.

maybe backgammon or checkers if we're really crazy, but i'm okay with anything as long as it has its own set of stats.
Stephen Brooks
2003-03-25 16:05:10
I would personally like daily/weekly/monthly/yearly stats and winner-browsers for each timeperiod.  However it will take rather a lot of database-like messing around, and might imply files that extend indefinitely in size over time.

Today's weather in %region is Sunny/(null), max.  temperature -99999°C
Book'em Dano
2003-03-25 17:42:26
With respect to:
"of course, if you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up losing anyhow.  considering the imbalance of good and mank connect four players we have here, i would assume such imbalance exists somewhere in our playing skill of othello, and so any such tendency would make less of a difference."

I agree.  However, at such time as two relatively skilled players pair up against each other, one is going to . . . I hate to say automatically . . . but depending on if they play 1st or 2nd, lose.  In that case we could see alot of started but unfinished boards. 

I think part of the fun in connect 4 is the relatively short game time\turnover.  In that case checkers might be the answer.  Its relatively easy to learn; however, its downside is that its limited to 2 players.  How about Chinese Checkers?
ß
2003-03-26 17:24:48
idea for two-player games: if someone hasn't moved for, say, 5 minutes, any other player that wishes may take over his/her spot.  the win/loss will count for whoever takes over, but the percentage will go for the last player who used those pieces.  this way it will hopefully encourage people to finish games, thereby allowing others to play.

i'd also like to have a tourney thing for each game every two months or so, and the winner of the entire thing gets to have 50 or so wins for his team.  of course, dano or me would probably win every c4 tourney Wink
ß
2003-03-27 19:48:54
somebody showed me this game called tac-tic, and it sounds like it requires enough strategy to contend for this site.  it goes as such: a 4x4 grid is created.  players take turns, creating a row of 1-4 pieces at any empty row on the board.  whoever moves last loses.

with a larger board, say 7x7, the game would make a great addition to site.  plus, it wouldn't be limited to a set number of players, so more people could play at once.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25160559 accesses.