stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherBrowser WarsThat's just rude..
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Kwil
2003-10-08 00:15:56
somebody had the supposedly hilarious idea to give the entire field to IE5.5 using IE6.

Not sure what kind of joy they get out of it, but to me it's just rude.  If you can't win on your own, be man enough to admit it.
Kwil
2003-10-14 15:41:33
Kind of sad.  It's looking like cheating is getting to be a way of life for some folks.

Hey Stephen, any thoughts about having the winners IP displayed on the "last win" popup?

Then, if we find an IP that cheats a lot, other solutions can be looked at like blocking said IP, or removing all the wins earned by it.
Stephen Brooks
2003-10-16 07:43:42
quote:
Originally posted by Kwil:
Hey Stephen, any thoughts about having the winners IP displayed on the "last win" popup?

Then, if we find an IP that cheats a lot, other solutions can be looked at

...like flood-PINGing them off the internet!  Razz

I guess people on IRC display their IP addresses, I just didn't know if people would want to show them on my site.  I could certainly try logging a file of {date/time,win,IP} for internal use, so if you could remember who won and when (Hu Wun and Wen, a kung-fu trio?) we could have a look at doing something about it.

I guess now broadband is more common it's less likely cheaters' IPs will shift a lot.

It doesn't make any sense: that's why they call it "virtual"
Kwil
2003-11-15 23:10:22
52 minutes prior to this post, on basically all the boards from the looks of it, though board 9 is particularly interesting because the IE person admits to doing it.

I really don't understand what the fun of it is though.  I mean, it's not like it's that difficult or taxing to do, so the person isn't even proving anything.  It's just weird.
montage
2004-08-19 19:51:02
Why don't you just restrict moves by IP AND by browser?  e.g. neither the same IP nor the same browser could move twice in a row.  I was just watching someone with IE use Firefox to make terrible moves so they'd win...

Of course, there's always away around that, but it would make it more difficult.
Stephen Brooks
2004-08-20 02:01:23
I'm pretty sure I already _do_ filter both by IP and browser.  Have you tried opening two browsers on your machine and playing against yourself?  (If you find that you can, that's a bug I should fix).
Alex
2004-09-07 07:31:26
Unfortunately it is possible to play against yourself - by having different proxy servers in both browsers... - but AFAIK you can't do something against it, because how should you get the true IP of that user then...
james
2004-09-12 01:23:07
I just realized that there is a Opera cheater that won on all boards at the same time 8 hours ago.  Mad

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040911 Firefox/0.10

The Firefox 0.10 PR rc is out now.
xio
2004-10-01 07:52:04
<news>

Hi@all,

that's not really new, is it?!  Razz

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#useragentswitcher Eek
eiten-Anzeige:User_Agent_Switcher" TARGET=_blank>http://extgermany.nizzer.com/cms/?Erweiterungeneiten-Anzeige:User_Agent_Switcher Red Face

best regards Razz
xio

</news>
2004-10-01 21:31:06
a possible solution against proxy-cheating is
to force the players browsers to accept java, so it is possible to get the real proxy by a java-script.
Alex
2004-10-02 09:05:30
Well, IMO this User Agent Switcher isn't really useful for cheating.  It allows to give firefox the identity of let's say IE - but AFAIK it doesn't make it possible to start the browser with two different proxies... - so you just could play as a different browser - but who would want to do that if he's using the best browser out there Wink
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25161433 accesses.