stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Q&ASome questions from a new user :)
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
MegaRili
2004-02-20 02:48:50
Hello all.

Here are some questions not solved after a quick search/read of this forum.

1.- I installed and kept running muon at my home computer several days ago.  After some days and a better result of 0.xxx (very low), my position on results table was at the last page Smile. I decided to download sample-500 and see what happens. 

I made a mistake and paste sample-500 at results.txt instead of results.dat.  I notice that error later, doing the "copy-paste" at the correct place at correct file, after a whole day of computing, but seems that the damage is done.  After pasting sample-500 at result.txt, I have jump to "Top 10" muon results.  I'm afraid that I have hacked the results, unintentional of course, because I can't understand how I have jump so quick with so few Mpts and so few results done.  I guess that good result is not mine (SolenoidsTo15m).

2.- Working at two computers.  Home computer muon v4.33 works fine at background.  But at work, except if muon runs alone, the computer hangs.  So at work I run muon only as screensaver.  That also happened with SETI@home.  Could be a bug?

3.- If I have muon running at background, and I start muon1.exe at foreground, that action destroys-replaces the work done by the background thread?  Same happens if muon_background is running and the screensaver (muon) starts.  There is any problem with this?  May I disable screensaver and no execute front muon version if muon is running at background?

4.- SETI@home had the project limited in time.  The project finishes when a whole piece of the sky is computed, and best signals selected.  But this project seems have no limit.  Seems that we could simulate for centuries and allways a better desing could be achieved.  When we can say "we have the best desing" and stop calculations?

Thanks Smile
Stephen Brooks
2004-02-24 14:10:04
quote:
Originally posted by MegaRili:
I made a mistake and paste sample-500 at results.txt instead of results.dat.
I've programmed the stats counter to eliminate results from the sample files now, so your Mpts (calculation) score should go down, though if the optimiser has "seen" those high results, it will have learnt how to make high ones of its own!
quote:
2.- Working at two computers.  Home computer muon v4.33 works fine at background.  But at work, except if muon runs alone, the computer hangs.  So at work I run muon only as screensaver.  That also happened with SETI@home.  Could be a bug?
If it does the same to SETI, then I don't know.  Sometimes the power-save or "hibernate" features of workstations can mess up my programs.  Otherwise it might be the firewall if you have one of those at work.  People with ZoneAlarm (for example) have to allow Muon1 through in order to send/retrieve results.
quote:
3.- If I have muon running at background, and I start muon1.exe at foreground, that action destroys-replaces the work done by the background thread?  Same happens if muon_background is running and the screensaver (muon) starts.  There is any problem with this?
It's best to have your computer set up to run only one type of muon version.  If there are more than one running at once, they will compete for CPU cycles and in fact you might even end up getting only half as much work done!  Also you run a slight risk of files becoming corrupt if you run two from the same directory.
quote:
4.- SETI@home had the project limited in time.  The project finishes when a whole piece of the sky is computed, and best signals selected.  But this project seems have no limit.
We try to get the best design given the computing power and time available.  In theory, I will stop optimisations when the muon transfer appears to have stopped increasing.  In practice, they usually stop when I want to submit a new optimisation to the network that is more interesting than the old one.

HB Pencils, also sold as "Moron's Choice" Graphite Cigars.
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25167066 accesses.