stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Generalv4.34 is out
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephen Brooks
2004-02-27 08:29:09
...on the main page, with v4.33a still there as I am releasing before a weekend and hence won't be able to immediately fix bugs that come up.  Version history entry coming soon.  Right now I'd just like people to check that it works - oh, it also solves a bug with the samplefiles checksums being rejected, BTW.

HB Pencils, also sold as "Moron's Choice" Graphite Cigars.
[TA]z
2004-02-27 09:21:25
Excellent Wink

Building proximity grid 8x8x50 (3200 cells)... Done
I'm assuming this was just never drawn to screen before?  Or maybe I'm just crazy Wink

also results are showing as "[v4.33b]"; is that intended?

I ran into a few problems executing the client via the batch file on my servers, more info later as I tinker with it

Thanks Stephen Smile
Stephen Brooks
2004-02-27 11:44:30
quote:
Originally posted by [TA]z:
Building proximity grid 8x8x50 (3200 cells)... Done
I'm assuming this was just never drawn to screen before?  Or maybe I'm just crazy Wink
Never existed before 4.34: the 'proximity grid' - terminology probably borrowed from watching Star Trek one too many times - is an index so that that muons can tell what components are nearby quickly.  I seem to recall I changed a few other algorithms in this version too - multicore/multithread scaling ought to be better, but I don't know if the basic speed has changed much.
quote:
also results are showing as "[v4.33b]"; is that intended?
ARGH now I have to miss something don't I?  Razz I set it at 4.33b for development purposes while it was clearly a different beast than 4.33a but not yet 4.34. Fortunately this will be handy as a "beta" designation for work done this weekend, should anything go wrong...

Brian Sogard
2004-02-27 15:51:02
goes boom

OK, that doesn't say much.  Installed v4.34, run either background or commandline on a win2k machine (which has run past versions fine).  latticelist.txt and the sample file are downloaded, samples are added to results.dat, then a somewhat generic Win2k error message pops up about application error and need to restart application, error log being created, the usual uninformative message Windows pops up when an app crashes.  I deleted everything except the user.txt from the folder and extracted muon 4.34 again, same result.
Stephan Hermens[RKN]
2004-02-27 18:07:17
Hello.

Under NT4.0 and W2K I get the following output using the commandline option:
quote:

Muon1 started
Loading genomes...939, done.
Searching for auto-saved file...
No file present
Making new genomw, TrialType=Mallards... Done

It crashes after that.
Now, either you introduced a new TrialType, or something is going wrong.
After some starts I got a genome with TrialType=Random, which seems to calculate OK.
Next one is a TrialType=Mutate and continues running...
I hope this helps.

no signature yet
[DPC]Stephan202
2004-02-28 01:32:29
TrialType=Mallards Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

If that's how you code, I wonder what you comments look like Wink

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
Stephan Hermens[RKN]
2004-02-28 02:34:46
Hello again.

One more thing:
The client has only done TrialType=Mutate during the night.  6 results in a row.  While this is not impossible it is improbable.

Just thought Stephen might check this one too.

--
The answer is 42
Stephen Brooks
2004-02-28 03:29:27
TrailType=MALLARDS??  Big Grin That was a dummy string I inserted, which should only be produced when something else is giving an invalid parameter to that particular function, so with that and the strange dominance of "Mutate" trialtypes, it looks like we have a likely location for the error.  I think I should be able to fix it on Monday, meanwhile I should probably take down the mallarded version for now...
quote:
If that's how you code, I wonder what you comments look like Wink
Some examples from another project I have at home...
if (c=(b&1)-(a&1)) return c; // Yes I don't know why it's that way around either
... // Should use repeated bison
//putpi100+k*10,yres-100+l*10,40+lnL); // Old manky graph
// Various crap imported so the NCGi shop will work
else if (n==25) // Inverse prodder
default: refund: credits+=price[n]; // Refund if feature not implemented!
flw=0.5*BF_curfont->v.from->letter[*str][0]; // I must have had some rationale behind doing it like this
// Unplot mouse!

[DPC]Stephan202
2004-02-28 04:40:54
Big Grin
At least that's a lot better than what some of my fellow students do: using filthy words every five lines Razz

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
[TA]ScottSwingleComputers
2004-02-28 19:36:12
I see the new version is no longer up for download...I had already upgraded to this version.  Will my results still count???
[DPC]Stephan202
2004-02-29 03:22:31
As I read it, yes they will.

---
Dutch Power Cow.
MOOH!
DGROMS.com
2004-02-29 18:56:13
Stephen, I have been running this new version all weekend and have had no problems at all.  You should have seen a fair few results submitted my me over the weekend and today
Stephen Brooks
2004-03-01 00:59:18
That's fine: what it does calculate should be valid.  This morning I'm going to find out what the problem is and put it back up there again, hopefully.

By 2050 the UK government plans to phase out nuclear power and get 60% of its power from wind turbines.  Really, REALLY big wind turbines.
Stephen Brooks
2004-03-01 02:13:52
OK, I found the problem - a variable in the loop that was supposed to set the trial-type was counting the wrong way and hence the trial-type never got set and was instead set from random contents of RAM, which for me happened to be "0x00000001" so I got nothing-but-Mutate all weekend.  Other people got out of bounds values and bad Mallards.

The fixed version is available here and on the main page.

By 2050 the UK government plans to phase out nuclear power and get 60% of its power from wind turbines.  Really, REALLY big wind turbines.
S-Vampire
2004-03-01 02:43:36
has been added to the Chinese Page...
http://sv.ik8.com/sv/dpad

A high school boy from China.
Just Love DC(distributed computing)
sorry4myPOORenglish
DGROMS.com
2004-03-01 16:08:15
I must have been lucky.  I had been running a previous version of Muon at the same time as I started the new version, this may have been my saving grace
Stephen Brooks
2004-03-02 01:40:47
Version history for 4.34 is up

: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25162802 accesses.