stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Bug Reportsv4.4x results to intheory.ath.cx
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
[TA]z
2004-05-12 11:53:28
20040512-181050 29 results sent to intheory.ath.cx

mkdir v4.4x failed because of permissions

the file was uploaded to the site home directory, but is no longer there... did you manually pull this Stephen?

ftp admins: make sure your FTP works for the latest version, please...
excaliber[Free-DC.org]
2004-05-12 21:39:07
Alright, I'm in a generous mood, so I won't blow on you.

Anyhow, be kind.  I'm running this for the community.  I'm out of town right now and can't fix it.  I was not aware that Stephen would be releasing a new client while i was out of town.  It will be fixed when I get home.

No need to get pissy so fast.  It can't have been out for longer than a few days.

And if you want great service, run the server your self.  It is my computer after all.
[TA]z
2004-05-12 22:17:08
Maybe you didn't quite understand my attitude?  This was merely a 'just letting you know' and a reminder to the others running an FTP site to make sure their site would handle the new client...
Stephen Brooks
2004-05-13 01:11:57
I download the entire directory tree, so I've got 2 results that have gone onto the root folder of intheory.ath.cx, but they've not yet been counted.  I'll move them into v4.4x manually for now.

Yes, running one of these things is a difficult balance between always being available to fix things and actually having a life and getting away from the computer... but I didn't design the FTP expecting that people would always be available, so they can go offline occasionally and results will typically still be stored somewhere.
[TA]z
2004-05-13 04:46:42
Glad to hear that Smile Thanks
excaliber[Free-DC.org]
2004-05-13 16:40:50
Sorry [TA]z, I misunderstood your attitude.  It's been a long week.  Explaining your science project (on Distributed computing Smile ) to 15 judges for 6 hours makes you kinda edgy.  Smile

I'll check to see If I still have VNC running, and if I do, i'll fix the server.  Othewise, I will ahve to wait till sunday.
[OCAU] badger
2004-05-13 18:35:26
quote:
Originally posted by excaliber[Free-DC.org]:
Explaining your science project (on Distributed computing Smile ) to 15 judges for 6 hours makes you kinda edgy.  Smile

care to expand on this?

edit: how did I manage to become a "small lichen growth" instead of "member" like everyone else?
[DPC]Stephan202
2004-05-14 00:24:04
You are a small lichen growth because you now are a semi-important member Razz
You'll have to post another 40 messages before you'll be as edfunced as I Razz
[TA]z
2004-05-14 14:00:40
Ahh, we all have frustrating days... No big deal Smile Hopefully the talk went well though!  Wink

quote:
Originally posted by excaliber[Free-DC.org]:
Sorry [TA]z, I misunderstood your attitude.  It's been a long week.  Explaining your science project (on Distributed computing Smile ) to 15 judges for 6 hours makes you kinda edgy.  Smile

I'll check to see If I still have VNC running, and if I do, i'll fix the server.  Othewise, I will ahve to wait till sunday. 
excaliber[Free-DC.org]
2004-05-15 18:35:31
Back, and it seems that Stephen logged in and fixed it for me.

Anyhow, the project was about DC.  I did a DC project on Emirps (special, and very simple, type of prime number) as a demonstration of how a DC project can bring vast processing power to the table.

I made it to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF), which is where I was at.  It was held in Portland, Oregon, and I got all expenses paid.  The projects there were amazing, and blew mine out the water.  The project itself was sound, and the framework well done, but it didn't bring anything new to the table.  The judges were looking for new inventions or some new twist, or something that was actively helping humanity.  Emirps did neither.  So, I did well, but didn't recieve any awards.

But next year's is gonna kick ass.  I'm already starting on it, and it will be new in the DC world.

I'm planning on making it an 'open DC architecture' meaning the resources of the project are available to others.  Volunteers run the client, which does nothing till work is assigned.  The interesting thing is that the work is done by plugin like modules that are created by a third party.  Unlike BOINC, once a module has been written to process the data, anyone (once approved, so the network isn't spammed), can submit data for the module to work on, then get the results later.  It takes the computing power and makes it avaialble to a wider audience.  You only need the data in the correct format to get results, and don't need to create your own project.

To demonstrate that, I'm still thinking of a module that I could program that would also be beneficial.  Currently I'm thinking of fitting data to fractals, which could be not only computationly intensive, but also useful.

Dunno, still thinking.  Got a whole year to work out the details Smile
Stephen Brooks
2004-05-17 03:30:17
Sounds like the academic "Grid" that a few people at this lab and elsewhere are working on.  I think that's the reason we got our data store upgraded to 1 petabyte recently...
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25163626 accesses.