stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1Bug Reports4.41 loosing particles?
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Stephan Hermens[RKN]
2004-05-25 04:45:33
Hello.

This is the end of a calculation of a SolenoidTo15cm.  The number of total Particles is dropping at the end.  Is this normal?  Intended?
Stephen Brooks
2004-05-26 07:56:20
Yes, those are the muons decaying (instead of the pions).  The pions produce decay products, so an increase, but the muons decay into particles which I do not track, so there is a decrease.
AySz88
2004-05-26 19:51:18
Wouldn't it be better to keep tracking the muons, but weigh each muon based on how likely it was to decay?
(i.e. If the muon reached the end but had a 93% chance of decaying, then it would count it as 0.07 particle in the final total)
Stephan Hermens[RKN]
2004-05-29 05:45:08
But why do you keep particles that are lost because they hit the wall or something else in the memory and not the particles that decay into something that is not relevant anymore?  I believe in earlier versions you needed the sum of all particles to calculate the percentage of muons that reached the end.  Now you are eliminating some particles from the simulation and thus recduce the total number of particles during the simulation.

Just wondering...
Stephan
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25168080 accesses.