stephenbrooks.orgForumMuon1GeneralBootable version
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Deleenheir
2004-10-08 17:54:51
Ive been thinking would the most efficient way to make your computer run Muon be creating a bootable version that you could run from a disc.  i would love to see that happen so i can give my HD some rest.  and second of all wouldn't a bootable version be THE most efficient one?  Its just an idea.  maybe a bootable cd that saves onto a floppy disc... Does this makes sence or is it just a idiotic thought?
Deleenheir
2004-10-08 19:23:53
I'm actually looking for a way to make muon run and having my HD in power save mode at the same time.  You might wonder why: I have a maxtor Diamondmax9 80 gig and it has broken down a few months ago.  It was still in waranty so i got a new one.  I really let it run 24/7 and perhaps it just.  But I want to prevent my HD from doin unneeded duty.  thats why i want to get muon to work without my HD running... Any ideas?
Stephen Brooks
2004-10-09 07:57:32
You could run it off a USB stick?  Smile
[DPC] ZeRoC00L
2004-10-09 10:52:04
A usb stick should be possible, but i don't think you like to do this.  (limited write actions on the flash memory in it).
You can try to create a ram-drive !
Deleenheir
2004-10-09 11:20:07
I tried a ramdrive (from Qsoft) it still seems to acces the HD (the HD led lights every now and then)
Stephen Brooks
2004-10-11 02:55:19
Running from a USB stick ought to be OK as Muon1 doesn't write to it very often, provided you switch auto-save OFF.

Your RAM disk might not be doing what you want if some of your RAM is being mapped to a swapfile on your hard disk!  I don't know whether you've changed the swapfile settings so it won't write to the HDD.
Deleenheir
2004-10-12 09:48:15
Just a question but macking a client for dos is no option or is it?
HETTATLONGUN
2004-10-23 11:50:12
Nope!  I guess we are past MS-DOS.  Smile

You can reduce hard drive access by setting the autosave time to 0 for no save.  That way the muon1 program will only need to write to the hard drive when it is saving a result and not save during the processing.  Big Grin
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25161201 accesses.