stephenbrooks.orgForumOtherProgramsNetmap..
Username: Password:
Search site:
Subscribe to thread via RSS
Pascal
2002-05-24 11:57:59
..is a nice program.  Does anyone want to have my data files?  I come from Germany, in the file are ca.  300 nodes.

2002-05-24 13:50:25
Would you care to explain what it is as you have not given a link for us to find out ourselves.
Mike Ellery
2002-05-24 14:36:13
quick search on google and i found this...

http://netmap.sourceforge.net

might be what your'e looking for
Orbi-tel
2002-05-26 14:27:26
I have just been running netmap but notice the tracert program is very CPU intensive - i.e it is taking over 80% CPU time.

- Is this normal

- Is the tracert prog one you have written Stephen and if so can you reduce it's CPU hogging maybe by making it a background process - not sure if you can do this with a DOS app.

Just something to consider for any future version.

Cheers

Orbi
Stephen Brooks
2002-05-26 14:36:47
The tracert I'm using is the one that comes with Windows.  Although you say it takes up 80% CPU, I've found that I can run like 12 instances of this program at once.  Maybe it's just got a high priority and will take over from anything else?  I'll check the netmap source code for "nasty" loops that might be hogging CPU.

[edit] No, no loops in there apart from the main one around the outside.  It must be Windows mis-managing DOS terminal emulation or something.  [/edit]

[edit#2] Hang on a minute - the "spawnl" function I'm using to start tracert returns an 'int'. I wonder if that's the Process ID?  If it is, I think I could use a Windows function to demote it to background priority class.  [/edit#2]
Orbi-tel
2002-05-26 14:43:11
Ok
Orbi-tel
2002-05-26 17:14:56
I tried setting all the related apps to idle priority but it made no difference.

Also when I was running several copies of netmap, the web.dat file got cleared out somehow and I lost 700 nodes.  It you want to allow multiple copies of the prog to run you need some form of file locking to stop data being lost.
Stephen Brooks
2002-05-26 17:54:49
I can't remember if I put this up on the website, but running multiple instances does corrupt the file.  I tried having a file that said whether the first file was being written to or not, but then that got corrupted big grin , so I gave up and recommended not running more than one instance at a time.

In retrospect I could get each instance of the program to RENAME the file to something else as it is writing to it and then rename it back.  And then if the file "isn't there", wait for it to appear.

Re: the priorities thing - I think this is Windows and I can't do much about it unless I write the pinger myself.

[edit] That's odd.  For some reason the screenshot of netview wasn't uploaded, and it wasn't in my local website directory either.  Well anyway I've retrieved it now.  [/edit]

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"

[This message was edited by Stephen Brooks on 2002-May-27 at 1:05.]
Stephen Brooks
2002-06-07 13:51:36
I've got a netmap program that runs without tracert running now, but right now the _viewer_ for it is the problem - it's tricky getting the program to spread out that number of nodes correctly.

"As every 11-year-old kid knows, if you concentrate enough Van-der-Graff generators and expensive special effects in one place, you create a spiral space-time whirly thing, AND an interesting plotline"
tgkprog
2002-06-24 14:09:05
in dos can start a program with low priority by calling the program from the dos propmt or a .bat program like this

start /LOW java tgk.gen.lng.thrds.DelayedRunProcess 50000

the /LOW makes it run on idle priority

Other options - type
help start
in ur dos console

this is in win 2000 i dunno about 98 .... but am sure there will be a way ....
Ben Whitten
2003-12-11 08:50:46
Hey all, I'm on the college computers atm, I tryed to use the netmap to do the network here but I got nothing so I tryed with all *'s but I still got nothing, the mashines here are XP soooooo I guss there might b a bug?  Can anyone recomend a nice prog the does a good map that I could use on these mashines?

Thanks, Ben
Gatchan
2004-11-16 00:01:56
I hope this thread will still be alive...

Hi there!  I've got a 3342 node datafile, but I foud that NetView is unable to process it.  What's the node limit?  Or maybe my file is corrupted...
Captain Ender Wiggin
2005-01-30 18:17:55
I'm running the netmap.exe, and it just sits there.  Tracert works from command prompt, but it doesn't seem to be working with it.  How long does it take to get a result?
: contact : - - -
E-mail: sbstrudel characterstephenbrooks.orgTwitter: stephenjbrooksMastodon: strudel charactersjbstrudel charactermstdn.io RSS feed

Site has had 25100281 accesses.